Old 07-18-2009   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I never met Derk. I have read many of his posts here and thought 'Maybe I'll boat with that guy some day.' Seems to me he was a good and sincere guy. I'm truly saddened to read this thread. It brings to mind a quote that sums up why we do what we do:

"... in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone. What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by, the dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?" ~Sterling Hayden

May his soul hold all the wealth he dreamed. Tonight, I drink to a man I never knew. Cheers friends.

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Count was a great kid! I met him for the first time on the Main Salmon. He scored a permit and we supported him in a stellar trip. He will be misse greatly and his love of paddling/running rivers will not be forgotten. It is a sad day in when we lose such a young warrior. RIP my friend and may your spirit flow forever!! Count!!!!!

Brofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Wow. I'm really sad right now. I met Derk a few years ago and gave him a bunch of maps for a Mexico trip he was planning. He was an enthusiastic, great kid who cared about the paddling community. A great guy. I don't know what happened today, but I can't believe the toll this sport has taken in recent years.

I'm thinking of Derk's family right now. I've seen this up close too many times now, and I know how completely devastating this it. I hope his family gains strength from this community - we owe it to Derk.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #14
the zoo, Montucky
Holy shit. I am shell shocked. I had the absolute privledge of going on a Cat trip with Derk last summer. We were just talking about coming up trips and ideas. One of the greatest people I have had on the water. Shit.
"What once was a river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
My Adventures
skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It's is hard to find the words. Dirk texted me a few days ago asking me to come and run the Big South with him... I couldn't go because of work. I remember talking with him last summer about the run and how he was excited to get on it. I was jealous that he was going to be boating such a beautiful run while I was at work.

Every time I paddled with Dirk the trip was better for his presence. Rest in peace my friend.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #16
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
RIP Count. My condolences to his family and friends. I had only paddled with Derk a few times, but god dammit that kid was passionate about kayaking and that makes him a brother in my book.

Here is my understanding of what took place. Derk and another boater who wishes to stay out of the situation, (so if you know who it is please be respectful and not use his name right now). Put on the Big South today. As they approached Bouncing Betty Derk decided to run the rapid, yet appeared to be casually floating into it. Flows were probably about 120cfs out of Long Draw, which left the right side of the slot very exposed. It appeared that Derk was angled too far to the right and became pinned in the right side of Bouncing Betty. At this point the other boater realized that something was wrong and came over and began to get the boat free. Derk was still in the boat at this point. According to the other boater, this process might have taken up to three minutes.

Finally, the boater got Derk's boat free and at this point Derk came free of the boat and floated into the eddy. The other boater then had to ferry over and grabbed Derk and pulled him to shore and immediately began CPR.

No one could really tell if Derk was unconscious when pinned or why he could not get out of the boat, until unpinned.

To the other boater, you did everything humanly possible today and please please do not let this eat away at you.

I hope we can all take something from this, because I know that I run that rapid without so much as a second thought. I become complacent and that is when stuff can hit the fan. Today is just the worst case scenario.

If you look at Count's sig he has a Brad Ludden quote. I would like to think that if everyone was a passionate about kayaking as Derk was then the world and the kayaking community would be a better place.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #17
Lakewood, Colorado
RIP Derk. I only met you once, but I heard tons of great stories.

My condolences to friends, family, and all involved.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #18
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Man, sad news. Thoughts go out to friends and family. To the person that was with him, if you want to chat or talk, I've been there. Give me a shout
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I only met Derk briefly a couple times, but have read many of his posts on the buzz over the years and they were always a fun and interesting read. I was pretty shocked to read this news. He just went up and did a run that so many Colorado boaters head out to enjoy this time of year. Most people I boat with have spent some time on the water with Derk at one time or another and there's no doubt he was a major part of the Colorado boating community. My girlfriend used to be on a freestyle ski team with him when he was a teenager and always considered him a super nice, enthusiastic guy. We are both so sad to hear this news. Peace to all his family and friends.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #20
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I just saw him the other day at the play park. I cant believe this. Ture and I took him down blackrock his first time 3 or 4 so years ago. He was so stoked after Rigo. I still remember his smilin face at the takeout. I've always run BB without a thought to that nasty looking right pin spot. What a damn shame. So young and full of life. . . He will be remembered.

RIP and may God be with you Count

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote