Old 07-20-2009   #141
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Video Library -

Thanks to whoever at news4 that sent this to me.

Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #142
Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Derk and I had a miscommunication on Thursday and I missed out on catching up with him and his crew after they took off BS to hopefully run Spencer Heights. The miscommunication was my fault but he didn't fault me for the flake. Kind and gracious for sure. I am with Eric...this whole thing definitely makes me want to be a better person and consider the legacy that I leave in my wake. Condolences to his family and loved ones.

Just happened to stumble across this Ben Harper video and it made me think of this situation. The words are apt, as is the video, footage of Derk would have fit right in.

Home Page | Ben Harper and Relentless7

rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #143
Paddling Since: 1996
Fearless... a word often used to describe the people who do the things we do. Having had many kayaking, climbing, skiing and karaoke sessions with Derk, this I know for sure...that man was more afraid than any person I have ever known. No, he was not afraid of getting hurt, not afraid of dying...he was afraid of not living life to its fullest. And it's apparent that he faced that feared and boated, skied, climbed, etc. every chance he had. And in the end, he was doing just that.

Let this be a reminder that life is short and we must live it to the fullest. And let's honor Derk the next time the conditions are less than ideal by saying Fuck it! I wanna go boatin so let's go boatin!

Derk, you're a true legend, I love you man...keep on rockin.

- Dusty
dbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #144
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
The outpouring from the community here on the Buzz is incredible. I met Derk this spring in the pool at Mines. I was just starting out, trying to figure out the roll, and he helped me quite a bit week to week. His enthusiasm and love of the sport was contagious.
Condolences to his family.
skisotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #145
Breckenridge, Colorado
L&A: We heard the news this morning and we are so sorry about your loss. Derk was an amazing kid and his spirit will live on. Kerstin & Ryan
ander389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #146
D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Very sad day

My heart goes out to Derk's family & the community. I met Derk the once, for a last minute early Dolores weekender last year. Never met, so don't know what to think, Guy shows up well organized for snowy weather trip with a great group, all smiles and good times, brings awesome dutch oven peach cobbler and funny stories. His enthusiasm actually inspired in me a bit of confidence about running snaglepuss on the oars my first go...I'm thinking, this guy's so freakin' excited about it, it's gotta be hella fun, not scary! So I run it and I think Derk videoed it. And it was fun, you were right, dude. He was an all around great addition to the trip, one of those rare people who seem to brighten the day for everyone around them, and I'm saddened by the news.
Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #147
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
So sad. Very sorry to hear this. Never met Count but somehow you knew, I knew, he was one of the good guys.

Somebody I would have invited to join a trip, no problem. His level head and good spirit comes through the internet as I am sure it did in real life.

My sincere condolences to Mom and Dad Count, and all the other friends and family you have out there and on here.

Sounds like we could all use a little more Count in our attitudes and life.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #148
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
My deepest sympathy to Derk’s family and friends. As a member of the FD of the big drops of the BS two decades ago, my heart is heavy with passion over how fragile life is, the great person that Derk obviously was, and for the most premier run in all of Colorado. Too many times I have felt the pain of loss of numerous other kayaking legends over the years. I did not know Derk, but his obvious passion for kayaking, adventure, and Yahuweh’s creation speaks clearly to being a top-notch guy. I envision him celebrating in heaven with our other fallen legends as they watch over each of us on the river. It would be appropriate to honor him with a plaque at the BS, either near the put-in or the rapid. Peace to all.
No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #149
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
He will be missed by many. I have paddled with him several times over the years and always enjoyed running into him on the river. A very wonderful person taken too soon. Our thoughts are with his family as well.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #150
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
The Count was an amazing guy who gave me years of advise on boating thru the buzz. Until last summer, I never met the Count, but I then got to know Derk. He will be missed greatly by this community. From seeing him at Gore Fest with a broken boat and a smile, only worried that he had broken his fathers boat, not from his swim to him bitching me out from uploading kayak video's on facebook without putting the date, location and flows of the event just a few weeks ago, will always leave wonderful memories. I had the pleasure of getting to know him this spring along with Mary and Christine at pool sessions, climbing, and having his personal chocolate chip bacon cookies (that's right, he added bacon bits to his cookies!). I am so sorry for his loss.

RIP Derk,

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote