Old 07-20-2009   #131
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I always wondered why his mountainbuzz username was "COUNT"...Count Derkula, that's awesome!

Just visited his FB page, and it's hard reading the sorrow in everyone's posts, but at least those sorrows are rooted in the tremendous joy he obviously brought to all those who were lucky enough to know him--reading these expressions, seeing his photos, and reading his info and posts here and on FB, he was a joyful, thoughtful soul and really lived life, and I wish I had known him...

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #132
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
I knew Derk originally from when we participated in RMD freestyle skiing together. We reconnected a couple years ago when he came to play polo with the CU kayak club. The last time I saw him he was putting on Escalante just as I was heading home. He was smiling, of course. Rest in peace Derk.

david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #133
Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I didn't have the pleasure of meeting this wonderful person, either, but I can't help sharing the heavy sadness inside anyway. The precious moments of life and those who have the most amazing attitudes, why they are taken from us so abruptly, I will never understand. Maybe those of us remaining will take a "post-it" from this Man's book on life. Be safe.
ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #134
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Memorial Service

I just spoke to Derk's family:

There will be a memorial and Reception open to everyone. It will be at the Keystone Conference Center at 5 pm this Friday. I know that we'd loved see everyone who knew and loved Derk there to celebrate and commerate Derk's life and legacy.

Christine Clark
"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #135
Never had the pleasure of meeting Derk but all posts in this thread are a testiment to what an amazing guy he was. Damn shame. RIP Derk.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #136
the zoo, Montucky
Thanks for the info Christine. I'm going to try to make it down.
"What once was a river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
My Adventures
skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #137
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Will remember you for ever!!!!!

I sit here in my shop remember a awesome young man, who has inspired me in so many ways. I got to know Derk first from freestyle skiing, a athlete who had the most amazing attitude on and off the mountain. Then on the water were he was even more at home. It was just last week on the Upper C, were we once again meet on the river. Me getting back in to the water after a shoulder dislocation, scared and unsure how it was going to go. In a huge stable boat, witch he gave me some shit for, in his witty way wile offering some words of encouragement. Derk showing his passion to a new boater just learning. I have had a few friends pass doing the things they love, all unfortunate, unfair, heart breaking, ect.... My condolences to family and all who new this incredible little man.....

Derk, buddy you will always be with me on the water!!!!!!

TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #138
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I didn't know Derk personally but can attest that he provided me with much knowledge from simply reading his posts and looking at his pics and vids.

He will surely be missed and I will be sure to paddle my ass off the rest of the summer whether in my mini-me, oar rig, or kayak to celebrate his life eternally!

thanks for leaving a positive imprint on our world and community Derk!
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #139
Tabernash, Colorado
Peace Derk.

May you have endless whitewater and pow skiing forever...
roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #140
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I didn't know Derk personally, but I certainly FELT like I knew him because of his presence on The Buzz. I've posted a number of questions and I know "count" had the answer to many of them......including a post on Friday asking about the BS flows. I didn't make it up to paddle....and I wonder if I would have been in the area of the incident if I had.

I can't stop thinking about him today, the rivers and creeks, all that he loved, everything that we ALL love and make us friends.....directly or indirectly.

Rest in peace my river friend.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote