Old 07-19-2009   #91
pnw, Washington
Originally Posted by T-ROY View Post
Dear Slottow Family and Friends,
My condolences to all of you. I don't think we've met before but you raised an amazing human being. Derk kayaking in Clear Creek was like milk and cookies; they always go together. In 2006, my good friend James McFarland passed away while kayaking. So, I started collecting donations at Golden River Sports and we raised enough money to put a bench in near the "rodeo hole" in the CC WW park. I would also like to do this for Derk. I'll have to get with the city and chamber to make sure we could do some sort of memorial at the park in Golden...Derk's 2nd home! He deserves to have a constant presence in the Golden boating community and I think this would be a perfect way to express our feelings for Derk.
I think I can speak for the rest of the moderators and owner of mtnbuzz and say if there is anything we can do to help, let us know. I think this would be a great idea.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #92
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
The day I first met Derk on Gore Canyon Sep 15, 2007
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	count.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	1742  

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #93
Fairbanks, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2009
As I'm very new to the community and sport, I did not get the pleasure of meeting or knowing COUNT. I want to send out my condolences to friends and family. It feels close to home being a Mines graduate. I urge all his friends both here and at CSM to carry on with their own passions as a tribute to him and your friendship.
metallurgistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #94

RIP Derk.. A picture from his first time (and mine) in Gore.. We talked about heading to Futa in Chile... We will miss you COUNT...
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #95
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I just heard the news. This is terrible! It just doesn't seem possible. I don't know what to say. It's been about a year since I last paddled with Derk, but I always got a kick out of this funny little kid. His passion for the sport was beyond compare. He will be missed

My thoughts are with his friends and family.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #96
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Fuck, this is agony. We had a great BS day on thursday and I'm glad Austin's boat pinned so we all got to paddle together.

I remember right when Evan and Kyle put their book out, Derk posted here something like, "who wants to have a competition to memorized every word first?" I'm sure he won.

What a great guy. I can't picture him without a smile. I'm at a loss for words. So many great days. Love you brother.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #97
golden co., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
We lost a friend..

In the 2007 in san Luis potosi Mexico, I had the opportunity to meet a great friend and kayakista. Derk.

we live together in the same house and I never thanked to you, because of you and your dad i met christine you best friend.

we will mist you,.

.... !Were are you guys been!! that wat he says all time when we get home from work..

great friend with a giant heart....

And if you try to find in the dictionary the friend definition. surely you would find Derk.

Again.. TANKS..
Derk's family, my condolence..

cokayakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #98
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

My thoughts go out to his friends and family.
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #99
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
I've been thinking about this all day at work. I remember when I met Derk last year going down Eleven Mile for his first trip. He had great stories, and was full of energy and obviously passionate about kayaking. He even set safety for me as I ran the top V a second time just so I could show another buddy the lines. While being entertained with his stories, he asked about what I wanted to do, and helped convince me I was ready for my first Gore run. I wish things had worked out so I could have paddled with him again this year. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #100
Carbondale, Colorado
I just ran the North Fork of the Crystal with Derk last weekend! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF@#$k, that's all I can think! I've lost too many friends this year between climbing and kayaking. After our friend Jonny Copp and his friends passed a few weeks ago another old friend informed me that Jonny was the 13th person he'd shared a rope with that had passed. He was sick of it and I am too. It's so similar in the kayaking community. A week later our climbing friend John Bachar passed, now Derk and a handful of other boaters this year. It makes me question these silly pursuits our generation finds themselves in search of. To continue to believe in these pursuits I'm forced to think back to why I origionally began, mainly the adventures I would have and the people I would meet. Derk showed up last weekend and I quickly considered him a friend as I do many of my outdoor friends. We shared an adventure and we became friends in quick order. I had a great day with Derk that I will never forget. I took my three year old son on that day son and Derk and he had a great time chasing each other around playing the tickling game in the forest. A couple of us ran the run three times but Derk opted out after the first run. Derk had driven hours from Golden and got a total of 5 minutes on the water but he was happy with that. I was impressed that he could come so far and do so little but he seemed to not be feeling it that day and was happy with one run. He was just happy to be there with the water nearby and good friends in his mist. I was impressed with his reserve and found it very mature of him. I never would have known how young he was. I'm deeply saddened by this loss and all the others this year. I find myself quite often lately questioning why we do these silly things. Usually I brush off a death to inexperience or lack of judgement but these happenstance deaths of individuals who seemed to manage risk quite well hit me really hard. I did not know him well but from the stories I have read I understand that he has lived more than the common man. While I don't truely understand what a huge loss this is for his family and girl I do know a bit about his passion for such a pursuit and the adventures he has shared with so many others. I have almost lost my life more times than I can count and I really believe that when it is your time it is. I find peace in thinking that perhaps these individuals are needed somewhere else more than here. Perhaps they have transcended these lives in their thoughts and beliefs. I am so sorry for your loss! Derk seemed a very good man and I really enjoyed the brief time I spent with him. I'm sorry that I didn't have a memory card in my camera that day and that my son will never play the tickle game with this partner again.

RJennings is offline   Reply With Quote