Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-22-2005   #1
We are thinking of N.Cali. or OR. for five days any ideas?

We have off today through the 28 and want to kick it somewhere sweet any ideas. Play,Creekin whatever. Any ideas on where to go. I hear it may be raining the whole time but if the waters runnin it will still be sweet.

tetons420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #2
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
It may not be enough WW for you, but the klamath river at Happy Camp is real nice. I would gamble that all the camping there is really cool. It is very warm water, Ive seen turtles and eels on it, hehe. Has some class 4, big water river, neat geology and you can find shuttle drivers at the local cafe for a modest fee. I even got da kronic from one of them lol, nice place.

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you're in Northern Cali, you've got lots to choose from. Be sure to check out the Salmon, Smith and the Trinity rivers. You can get some beta on these runs from creekin.net.

Depending on your ability level -

On the trinity:
Pigeon Point to big flat - Class III
Burnt ranch gorge - Class IV-V

Salmon river gorge - This one is a California classic - IV-V
North fork salmon - IV+
South fork salmon - some easy stuff lower down, and some hard stuff higher up.

South fork and Oregon hole (middle fork) gorges: IV
North Fork - haven't done it, but heard its one of the most beautiful trips you can do if there's enough water III-IV.

Park and play -
Beach at Crescent city (near the smith)
Oak Bottom on the Salmon is excellent if its on
You can also play the Ikes on the Klamath below the mouth of the Salmon

Have a good time!
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #4
nice thanks for the info!!!! I am super stoked!!
tetons420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #5
Boise, Idaho
Just got back from CA. Up north you should hit the Cal Salmon. It is an understatement to say this is a classic. It doesn't look like much but oh so sweet. Go there if it is around 3000 or higher. There is big water, play and creek boatin' to be done.

On the other hand, If you can pull it off get on the MF Feather, Devil's canyon run. Spend three days in there. This is easily the most speacial place I've ever been in a kayak. 1000 ft vertical CA white granite walls with 100's of cascading waterfalls coming in everywhere. You just pull into the eddy and fill up your water bottle. 34 miles, Tons of rapids, Self support, class V, with one portage. You may choose to portage other stuff. This is the one!
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #6
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Just got back Sat. If you have some solid creekers with you ( a good class V crew) try the South Fork of the middle Tule. We did it Wed. and Thurs. My favorite river yet. Ran the biggest drop I have ever done. It was awesome.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote