Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-30-2013   #11
Someone should start a business

Just a heads up on the Ethos, awesome boat but the front bulkhead is a pain in the ass for self support. If you get one, take out the bulkhead and install foot pegs. It will make your life much easier.

I also am looking forward to the Dagger specs as I have a self support trip next year.
have a blast...

Originally Posted by Dersu76 View Post
Hopefully! I know of three GCSS trips in the next 6 months. I've even read that some are lobbying for relaxing the rule on double canyon trips if one is a winter selfie. From my calls to the area it seems that there are at minimum 8 XP's in the area between Moenkopi and REO; possibly only a single XP9. Maybe someone will buy my ethos 9 and 10 if I buy and ship 'em out?

I'm excited about the new Dagger Katana and am expecting some hype from the Outdoor Retailer Summer show this week. They're in production I think, but doubtful it'll make it on my trip to the canyon. I've put a cal into my local shop to see if they have any on order.

action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #12
Washington, Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Just a heads up on the Ethos, awesome boat but the front bulkhead is a pain in the ass for self support. If you get one, take out the bulkhead and install foot pegs. It will make your life much easier.
Check. Good advice! When we demo'ed the Ethos 9 and 10 the person checking out the 9 removed the entire foot bulkhead and center pilar for our overnight trip just to see how much more room it made. She just threw a drybag up there for a foot rest. Wouldn't want to run anything creeky like that, but for the canyon and with plenty of gear in the bow I wouldn't worry too much about a boat entrapment.

Also found that rolling w/a skeeg was slightly more labored, but surprisingly with a watershed ocoee drybag strapped to the rear deck the boat rolled surprisingly easy! About halfway up the buoyancy kicked in and rocketed you to the surface. Two other modifications I've heard about were to replace the stern deck bungee with a non-elastic cord to hold a groover and to install a cam strap mount on both sides of the stern hatch to help secure the hatch. It's no so tight, but basically dry. I was actually wondering if I could get the local skirt manufacturer (skirt works or IR) to make a skirt for the stern hatch for potentially a better fit.

Dersu76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #13
Send a message via AIM to ScottBarnes
Canyon REO

I'm 175 lbs (was about 165 when I got off the canyon) and the XP10 seemed big at first, but it paddled small. It is the largest capacity boat of all the "crossovers" still, so you either have extra room for gear or some extra volume to compensate for all that non-floating stuff you'll be putting into your boat in a self-support.

Canyon REO should make the short list every time you consider doing a canyon trip; whether you need gear and food, or just that long shuttle setup. They have XP's and have seen the LL setups first hand (post-factory mods and all).

I went with the groover in the bow pillar. Actually need to remove the plastic pillar and build a minicel one. It was nice to have the weight of that PVC pipe inside the boat and not on top of a deck. I had a thick minicel camping pad strapped to the stern deck to save space inside. It's light, buoyant, and doesn't matter if it gets wet during the day. The XP10 held 2 Watershed Big Creek backpacks worth of gear in the bow. I had 2 Ocoee bags behind my seat, 1 Ocoee bag in the stern hatch with lots of other stuff in the stern that could get wet (tent stakes, folding camp chair, daily garbage bags, water bottles, etc.). The huge amounts of bow room and room just behind the seat let me balance the boat nicely.

Good luck with the logistics. I look forward to a TR when you get back.
ScottBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #14
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
MOE on the XP-10 & XP-9

Canyon Reo's a great company, real good people!

Attached is a picture of our XP-10 at Moenkopi Riverworks. We cut out a channel for the groover in the front bow pillar. The person in the picture is 150 lbs. and surfing the Big Kahuna in Lava in the XP-10.

He loaded the boat to the hilt for the trip, it was quite heavy but the large boat gobbled it up. Space was not a problem") We also carry the XP-9. They are 15$/day/custom XXL skirt, and as much as I'd love it to be?? it's not the greatest market to be in $1500 boat- 1-2 rents/year. It will prolly take 5+ years to recoup the cost., not the smartest business model") The boats are at Canyon Reo and Moe if you need them").

Brady Black
Moenkopi Riverworks
928 856 0012

Subsquatch SUP Solo for two anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surf lava xp10.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	6816  
moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #15
Washington, Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for providing this service, Brady. It really makes a difference for out-of-towners knowing hard to find gear is available locally! I didn't know you also provided skirts as well; that's awesome. I'm checking out the XP10 again this weekend to see how it handles.

Dersu76 is offline   Reply With Quote