Old 05-09-2007   #11
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would consider myself a solid III boater, with the ability to do IV when I'm on, and/or pumped.

This is the first year I've done Waterton, and did it twice. Once at like 450, and once at 1100-1200.

I wouldn't consider myself a playboater by any means, but my buddy can throw around a bit. At low water he had trouble getting into the river wide hole to surf. And He didn't really see opportunity for other play.

Now at 1200 for us it was class IV, with no sign of play. But it was our fist time at that level.

I think it comes down to where your comfort level is. Neither of us are big creekers or big playboaters, we're working on both.

I could see if you were used to V's how Waterton would be sweet butter for getting thrown around in a playboat.

But if you're an average boater (III-IV) you might not consider it a play run.

I've done Bridges so many times, I think I could do it blindfolded and backwards, so for me Bridges at high water is a great play run. However I've been with people who have seen God on my so called "play run". So it all comes down to your perspective.

You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #12
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
"Play run" is a relative term. There is crap for play on most Colorado rivers when you compare them to the eddy-serviced play rivers in the southeast. Just think about how many good features are eddy-serviced on the average CO play run, and then hold that up to the Ocoee, the New, the Gauley, or maybe even (gasp) the Nantahala. Offensive to long-timers out here, maybe, but show me one easterner who thinks that the play is generally better out west. The east has older rivers with more dramatically eroded riverbeds - 80fpm in the east has way more defined drops than 80fpm in Colorado, where the runs are more continuous and flushy. Nothing like Lower Clear Creek or Dowd in the SE.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote