Old 11-21-2006   #11
I've had the Pentax for most of the season, and I've had really good luck with it. Point 'n shoot cameras always lag a bit in shutter speed....tip....focus on the spot ahead of the paddler so that you're ready to depress the button fully at the right moment.

Water droplets are definitely a problem. Most of the time I find it easier to lick the lens quickly than to wipe it off with something.

Bought mine from Broadway too. Keep an eye on their site though, the prices fluxuate all the time. The day after I bought it, the price went up $40 on the same model. The following week it was back down again!

TimmyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006   #12
I use the pentax 6mp and as far as water droplets go, I cut out a little square of a synthetic chamois and attached it to the camera cord. Pull into the eddy, bust the camera out of your pocket, ring out the little chamois, wipe and shoot. I found that wiping it with your finger can cause the water to bead up but remain on the lens because of the oils from your finger.

And yes, you have to work on the timing. Autofocus (depress halfway) about 2 or 3 seconds before the shot you want, then it takes the shot pretty quickly from that point. Don't plan on giving your camera to some honky at a waterfall and expect to get a shot with you in it, it definitely takes practice but is capable of great action shots pretty consistently once you figure it out.

thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #13
I got the pentax and dip it in the rio to clean it off- works fine for me. The battery life is not the best, but all around, it's totally worth it. My niece and nephew thought it was the greatest when I took it to the pool with them. As for the slow shutter thing, I do a lot of photo sequences and pitch all the "not-quite-there" images.

cdw is offline   Reply With Quote