Old 04-30-2012   #1
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
water on the Poudre

I've been boating on the Poudre for decades. This is the first time I've seen the river up this early. Where is the water coming from???? I doubt that it's snow melt.

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #2
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Was talking to a local at the narrows on Saturday, who said it was all coming from the dams. Maybe, the farmers are cultivating a water intensive crop, or they our just getting an early jump on the season.

Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #3
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Irrigation Water

I read an article last week in either the Denver Post or Coloradoan that noted the water is dam release for irrigation purposes and the water managers have never released so much water so early in the season but are forced to with the dry winter/spring.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #4
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Stinks! It'll be a short season for sure. Get some while it is still there.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #5
The water was very cold and brown this weekend - seemed like runoff to me. The SNOTEL sites have been dropping as well. I would bet there is some precious natural runoff mixed in with the release.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #6
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I think its a combination of things:
-The laramie poudre tunnel has been open for 2 weeks now bringing water from the laramie river drainage into the poudre. I dont think they have ever opened it this early. Last year it did'nt open until May 9th and then they shut it off because we had too much water. The water from the laramie poudre tunnel is not stored anywhere so by opening the tunnel early we are actually getting a real net increase in water coming down the poudre canyon.
-Long draw and joe wright have not been releasing water as we can tell from the gauges so the rest of the early season water seems to be from the unusually warm spring we are having.

afox is offline   Reply With Quote