Old 04-18-2008   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Water in AT4 Carbon Paddle! ?.

Don't get me wrong folks, this is a great paddle (the carbon one)...

It would be nice to warranty it however AT is 1 year and I am over that w/out a warranty will probably not happen, I will probably never get a luanch on the Grand, and stripper chicks will probably not go rafting with us down the Delores on the 17th (Jasmin the offer still stands!) so I figured I would post to see what your suggestions are on wtf.

And don't give me any of this "Werner wouldn't have had" either, I am not privy to a 300 plus dollar paddle, pretty much ever and I would be in the same out of warranty situation anyway...

So here is the goods: Had the paddle for a few years now, only this year the shaft seems to be filling up with water. What's super wierd about that is this year I have not spent that much time UNDER the water! So wtf? Has this happened to your AT? I thought about leaving it out in the sun to eveporate and yes that would work but doesn't solve the problem.

Have any of you had any luck with AT warranty dept.? Should I even ask? What about this water filling up the shaft, did this happen to you too?

Well, if you can't beat em, join em in the world do I get beer in there instead of water?

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #2
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
I would ask. They are a good group over there at AT. They may be able to help out in some way. You have nothing to loose.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Doesn't this happen to everyone that's ever owned an AT4? I had the same thing happen except after 1 month. AT was really good about honoring their warranty (and Confluence was even better about giving an AT loaner paddle for the entire duration I was waiting for the warranty - major hookup), but of course a few years is different than 1 month.

If you can't get anything out of them (don't hold me liable for this advice, use at your own risk!), you can drill a tiny little hole in your blade to drain out the water (or if letting it sit out in the sun works for you even better), then epoxy it back up and put a layer of epoxy around the joints, which is where it's almost certainly leaking. Not sure if that's the best fix, but probably the easiest.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Had the same problem couple years back 1 week in. i hada replacement in under 8 hours through the local shop. Min was leaking through the blade where the paddle shaft ends. Had a tiny crack in the blade. Got the feel and sound of the water inside was anoying.
Side note:Paddled a werener powerhous last season, selling it tomorrow and back to the AT(got the AT2 though. AT just feels better in the water.
God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #5
you might try submerging it to see where it is leaking, like you would for a bike tire. Then fix it after it is dried out.
msunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #6
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: '04
AT4 Paddle

A few years back we had a few month period in production where the epoxy that we used wasn't quite cutting it, and we still have a few here and there come back to us with leakage issues from that era- With that being said, give me, Jesse, a call at AT (877-766-4757) and we can fix that paddle for you! Assuming that it is the epoxy and not a crack or whatnot. Glad you all are enjoying your AT's !! Make sure you come by the CKS Paddlefest next month to give some of our new paddles a try at the ww park!

Jesse Becker
AT Paddles
Zoolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #7
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Mine actually separated at the joint.. I started fighting my roll and happened to put it next to another paddle and sure enough it had twisted to a lefty..
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #8

sorry to dog here AT folks, but just speaking from my experience here...

i am on my third AT i believe.

i started with a seven two...which when failed, upgraded to the waterstick. since then, i have had two other AT4s. Each of the first two AT/waterstick leaked within the first year, and although i had to haggle extensively with alpenglow, including boating for most of one season with a 1960's red russian 50 lb 90 degree offset paddle...they finally did honor a warrenty replacement, and the shop switched me out with a new one.

so....i would not have gone back to AT, but alpenglow switched me out after AT replaced it for them. so....i was definately annoyed at alpenglow for not immediately giving me credit and switching me out like the earlier guy had with confluence (go confluence and customer service!). since the newest AT4, i've had it for 3 seasons now, with no leaks...

so i think it is hit and miss with them.

i will say that most everyone i boat with is a strong werner enthusiast, but i also have a hard time paying three bills for a paddle.

for your situation, give the AT guy above a try.

alternatively, you could go back to the shop you bought it from, if possible, and see what they might do for you. maybe it will be confluence and john will treat you right. if you have no luck there, i'd dry it out and try to seal it up as above.

i will say that if you get a good one, they feel pretty bomber.

good luck man!

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote