Old 07-21-2009   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
LOL...once again my poor writing skills bites me on the ass. I'm an avid flyfisher. I was trying to make the point of how fishing guides are perceived due to some problems in thier on river behavior. Just float the Roaring Fork, A and B section of the Green, the Upper Raddy, or the Reef and you'll likely see what I mean.

NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #12
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Nols - I'd add to that the San Juan "quality waters" section. Guides down there (often) act like they own the place and (often) show contempt for private waders or floaters who get in the way of their (often) inept sports. I've had more than one guided driftboat bull through my drift and act like I'm the one who's the dick.

Bottom line? All river users need to be aware of others around them and treat others the way they would like to be treated. It's that "golden rule" thing that keeps the peace. Seems simple, doesn't it?

You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #13
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Yes, dude did have a scraggly goatee (as do so many), and i'm sure he was part of a larger group of boats but I'd hate to pin any blame on any one company....I've done dozens of raft trips and have the upmost respect for these operations and how professional they are run. Quality folks in this "community". Thanks for the great commentary and suggestions y'all!
HighOnMyHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
not so quick

Originally Posted by Kendarflugen View Post
I agree the downstream boat has the right of way.
if two boats are running, the boat downstream has the right of way. it makes sense, right? because the guy facing downstream can't see the guy closing in on him. So the guy upstream has to control his boat so as to avoid the fellow downstream.

once he eddies out, then boats making downstream progress have the right of way. so the boat in the eddy has to watch out for someone running the rapid. again: makes sense! the guy in the eddy is theoretically "still" and safe, while the other guy's momentum is harder to check and change course.

I've had both happen to me. I got run over by a raft from behind (I was in a kayak), and in another instance, a raft eddied out without looking upstream and I ran right under the raft. that sucked.

no sense getting pissed off. there's a reason we call rafts "barges". They aren't as maneuverable, so kayaks (when properly controlled) can usually run around them.

in the story that started this thread, the guy behind the guide was in the wrong. he made a mistake, friend. it happens.
Yakinsmaaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #15
Golden, Colorado
*shock* a scraggley goatee? on a boater?

Originally Posted by HighOnMyHog View Post
Yes, dude did have a scraggly goatee (as do so many)
river rat scum!

this can be forgiven...unless you also have dreads.

that's the mark of the devil!
Old 07-21-2009   #16
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Originally Posted by NolsGuy View Post
...that said, all it takes is one out of 20 to be rude and it gives the whole industry a bad name. The pressure fishing guides must feel to get their "sports" into fish must be difficult. That said, being river bullies with a complete disregard for fellow floaters/fishermen is pathetic. Teaching river/fishing etiquette should be part of both jobs. I won't even start with how a smile and a few kind words to other floaters would help change the public perception of guides.
EXACTLY Nolsguy! Teaching etiquette and being nice should be part of the job. It doesn't take much to be nice, it's a lot harder to be a jerk, but some of those guys are...I was on the Green with Gordon Thiret, a 1st class guide, we were pulled over doing something or other, he gets out of his boat, walks up to a guy struggling over some rising fish, gives him a fly and a couple of pointers and comes back to us...guy gets fish, reputation goes up, everyone is happy and smiling! What a difference compared to the guys who hog the ramp, cut you off, etc.!

Off to the Rady tomorrow, I'll watch out for scraggly paddle raft guides!

Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #17
Golden, Colorado
"It doesn't take much to be nice, it's a lot harder to be a jerk" that's not exactly true. it's harder for a jerk to be nice than for a nice person to act like a jerk. it kind of takes provocation for a nice person to turn sour...i'm not sure what can make an ass change his tune. hmmmm. not sure i explained that well, hopefully you understand.
but i agree that if i was a rafting company owner, I'd demand that my guides show good manners and be nice people; who's going to read the name of your company and recommend your business if they have had bad experiences with your guides?
if i got a report my guide was being an ass, i'd give him a desk job or let him clean rafts with a toothbrush for a week. see if that straightens his attitude out.