Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2012   #41
Other than the checkin, how was your trip?

Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I think he got a good talking to, because he was awesome to us. Apparently the trip in question received big apologies from the river rangers, after hearing of the mess. The story (as heard from multiple trip members) sounded horrid. Not just baiting them to drive but completely tossing a vehicle. Three weeks later the same ranger reminded us to watch ourselves driving rigs with beer, especially moving to park and driving up to Marble Canyon. He even ignored Peggy when she pointed out we had 4 rigs on the ramp. Perhaps the death the night before also helped them settle down, put things in perspective. He could have rejected one of our trip members ID's also, and accepted it, whew!

Old 04-16-2012   #42
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
We need more Peggy`s in the Park Service![/QUOTE]

" Old timers here may recall that when Dave arrived at the Ferry, he was regarded as being a bit overly strict as well. IIRC, he had previously been stationed down on Lake Mead, where he had to deal with heavily armed gangs, drunks, and drugs as a normal part of his daily duty. One might suppose he had to recalibrate his LE antenna to the new environment. And it certainly seems he has, at least in my experience. Peggy likewise seems to have achieved a nice balance with boaters and our issues, while still enforcing the necessary stuff. "

Again! Agreed! The river, no matter how you experience it, can be a life changer! (duh) I think there may be hope. Word is out, commercial and private. P's and Q's..... Easy!

Old 04-17-2012   #43
Dan checked our gear for our early launch in March. Great guy and had no problems.... stood with a beer in my hand chatting with him as w looked through gear.
Old 04-18-2012   #44
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Other than the checkin, how was your trip?
Blissful, divine, magical, heavenly, otherwordly.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
Old 04-18-2012   #45
Many first hand posts on yahoo whitewater groups (GCPBA, Idaho, GC Rafters & Utah Rafters) with details about new ranger and his run in with a group with 3 lawyers. Funny & sad. Sounds like his goal is to spoil someones trip.

Now I KNOW no one on this board would show up at Lee's Ferry with "reefer madness", BUT this guy is looking to jail a trip leader on a DUI.

Careful out there!
Old 04-18-2012   #46
Paddling Since: 96

Old 04-18-2012   #47
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Hmmm.... Yup! That's right!!
Old 04-19-2012   #48
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Go to his manager.

I once ended up at the jail for a trumped up charge from an overzealous ranger. The next day I met with his boss. Because his boss knew me he knew I wasn't lying about what went down. The charges against me and my friends were dropped and that ranger was quietly moved on as well. I think launching an internet stalker attack on a federal employee will end badly for someone.(Not saying that is going down here at this point at all.)
Old 04-19-2012   #49
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by whitewaterjunkie View Post
His name is Dan Hovanec and here's what he looks like.

He is masturbating in that photo.

Seriously though, he needs to go. It is so stressful to get ready for a GC trip. I was not in a relaxed state of mind when I was gearing up on that beach... I wanted to get on the water after years of preparation and about 6 months of last minute craziness.

If someone had gotten in my face about a can of Coors Light, cop or not, on that day then someone could have gotten hurt, I just couldn't predict my behavior in a bullshit situation like that.

Get that guy out of there before some old boater ends up in prison for pistol whipping that kid with his own gun.
Old 04-19-2012   #50
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
one way to fix the problem

one way to fix governmental budgets and loosen up the fuzz on us, legalize it!

Closed Thread