Mountain Buzz banner

Washington boating

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  h2ojones 
#1 ·
Anyone know how washington is in march? I tried looking for a MB style website for washington, but couldn't find one. I'm looking for IV+/V. From the gauges in on the AWW site, it looks like tons of stuff is running right now, or is that just iced up gauges like we have here? Will the goods be running in march? Any beta/websites appreciated.
Joe

#2 ·
#3 ·
I spent a fair amount of time around Index and Marblemount back in the day. Two things you need in March. Your skiis and a drysuit. One day it'll be dumping and the skiing is on. (if you like Cascade concrete) The next it all melts off and the Skyomish can go from 3,000 to 30,000 in one day. Washington is awesome creeking, and Big water runs. One caution is debris moving around constantly. Boat a run two days in a row and all the logs have moved.
Best run in the state IMHO + Robe Canyon outside of Darrington. It's a class five run, My like Gore except with 4 times the rapids!

Once you get you drysuit on and get in your boat, it gets easier!

Good luck and buy a sweet skull cap!

Joel

#5 ·
Yep

Yes,I do have a copy down here. It's the 2nd edition. From checking things out on the book market. I'm pretty sure it's the only WW guide book for Washington. I think it's your best bet.

#7 ·
i did a few things a few years back. i don't generally run class five, but we hit a few things some people call 5's

my favorite was Ohanepecosh creek (south side of ranier) small low volume creek about 5 miles (took us 7 1/2 hours due to constant scouting)

tumwater canyon near leavenworth (at low water)

skykomish was fun

white salmon (few choices of sections)

if your around the deschutes in oregon check out the Trestle hole if its 5000 cfs or greater, super fun play spot

#10 ·
WA Boatin

Where at in WA are you going to be?

There's no sense in driving 5 hours to hit up the White Salmon if you're going to be staying in Seattle. One problem you might have is catching a storm. I guess by CO and Eastern Standards there is always water, but there's something to be said for boating the Skykomish at 9K or the Green at 4K.

Let me know what part of WA you're going to be in and I may be able to show you around?

mjones135@hotmail.com

#11 ·
I'm gonna be in WA for around a week, which is enough time to tour around a little bit, right? I'm a big fan of the boating during the day, partying in the evening and driving 4hrs to the next section at night, repeat. Anyway, I'll probably be staying in Wenatchee for at least a few days. I'd love a guide, and I'm willing to meet you wherever there's drops and water.

#12 ·
Unfortunately Wenatchee is on the Eastside of the Cascades and the majority of the water in March is going to be on the Westside of the Mtns. I have a fulltime job during the week so it is doubtful that I would be able to just screw off and have fun for 4 or 5 days, but I'd love to go boating for a day or two on the weekend.

Some runs that aren't too far away... Check out the AW page or a guide book if you have one.

Tumwater Canyon on the Wenatchee R.(1 hr from Wenatchee)- You said you only want to boat Class IV... the Wenatchee will probably be running 5 or 6K in March and I believe that is the Max suggested flow and at that level it will be solid, pushy, big water Class V. (You'll have to find another guide for that one!! he he)

If the Wenatchee is above 10K there are is some superb play on the section past Leavenworth. (45 min from Wenatchee)

The Skykomish and the NF of the Skykomish (2-2.5 from Wen.)- the NF is pretty straight forward class IV other than the first couple rapids which are a bit more difficult. (reminds me of the Numbers) Don't run the NF unless the Main is above 10K. The Main is mostly class III with one rapid that pushes IV+. Anything above 10K the main is IV with one V.

The Green River Gorge (1 hr from Seattle) Gorgeous class IV run. There's a lot of wood this year so be careful especially at flows of 3K and up.

The Sultan (Near the Sky) another great III-IV run.

The Foss (Near the Sky) another great IV run.

The Tye (Near the Sky) another great IV-V run.

If you have a chance to make it further south the White Salmon and the Wind rivers are spectacular!!! The White Salmon has 30 miles of awesome Class III-V+ rapids... fun for everyone. The Wind is a bit of a step up from the section of the White Salmon you'll probably run. Steep class IV boulder gardens with some nice drops and one mandatory portage.

Sorry for rambling... tired... shoot me an e-mail when March gets closer.
mjones135@hotmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.