Old 05-02-2010   #1
Fayetteville, AR and Banks, Idaho
Warm Lake, ID Area Info Needed

So I got a job working with the Forest Service for the summer in Warm Lake, ID, and was hoping some Idaho locals could help me out with beta (or if someone could point me in the direction of a working Idaho Boater MB).

I know NF Payette is close and I will be trying to get over there as much as I can, but I was curious if there are any runnable creeks around Warm Lake. On the topos Warm Lake Creek, Trail Creek, and Six-Bit Creek all look to have reasonable size drainages, and have pretty easy access. Does anyone know anything about these?

Know these threads get kind of old, but I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks, Matt.

FarPastGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #2
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Why the hell go all the way out the NF just down the road from warm lake you have the following runs: South Fork of theSalmon day run, the East fork of the Salmon , the Seechesh day run, Johnson Creek, the Upper East fork of the Salmon, and those are just the after work runs. You also have the South Fork of the Salmon overnight and the whole Seechesh. All these should keep you busy till North Fork season. All the creeks you mentioned are tributaries to the SF of the Salmon.
Have fun. Oh there's a couple of great hot springs in the area but you'll have to find them on your own.

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #3
good area:

here's what the runs are called in the book:

-South Fork Salmon (goat creek run)

-East Fork of the South Fork of the Salmon
this dog can be stout at high water. Flight Simulator rapid is the real deal.

-Upper Johnson Creek (might not be in the book)

-South Fork over nighter - Shuttle is Riggins - East Fork of the South Fork becomes the South Fork either at the Soth Fork confluence or the confluence with the Secesh.

Yellowpine is the place. Get your nine iron warmed up for their hillbilly par 3 course in the woods. No actual fairways or greens. Just PVC pipe stuck in the ground.

Classic boating.....
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #4
Boise, Idaho
Your best bet is going to be the NF. This is a low snow season and the above mentioned runs are going to go pretty quick. The play park in Cascade is going to be up and running just as soon as they start releasing. Again, this is prob not going to be the epic year for releasing either.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #5
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
For message boards: has a lot of great resources, but its forum isn't very busy. I mostly use the Idaho Whitewater Yahoo group: idahowhitewater : Idaho Whitewater.
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #6
Thanks guys I appreciate the beta. Pretty obvious I have no clue about that area.

Do ya'll know if there are generally people on those runs after work? Looks pretty sparsley populated in that area.

- Matt
Old 05-03-2010   #7
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
There are a few key points about boating in Idaho to be aware of.

First, it's one of the most sparsely populated states in the union, especially where you will be working. That means boating partners are hard to come by in the backcountry unless you brought them.

Second, when you look at a map of Idaho you'll see a lot of creeks; that doesn't mean that they are runnable. Remoteness, wood, finding people to paddle with, and the difficulty of putting on with proper flow all combine to limit the creeking options here. Some insist on poking around for new runs, but consider the fact that Idaho has seen 30 years of high end paddlers and none of them have uncovered a truly classic steep creek (except the stuff in the Northern Panhandle). But, the rivers are so good that not many people care.

Third, the Payettes are pretty much the only rivers that get run after work. The stuff around Warm Lake is too remote and too long to be doable after work. That said, there is a brand new whitewater park in Cascade that should provide an after work fix for you.

My advice is to check out the classics in your area, especially the EFSF outside of Yellowpine. If that doesn't blow your hair back then look into Upper Johnson Creek.
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #8
Thanks, thats really helpful.

Hoping I will be able to boat most days after work. Either way it will be better than Arkansas for the summer.