Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-19-2010   #1
Wanting to Move out west to finish school in EGN but where is there boating as well?

Hey guys my name is Kyle i wrote a post up here a few weeks ago contemplating on the idea of moving to Moscow Idaho to finish school at UI cuz it had a good list of engineering majors im interested in, only problem is it doesnt seem to have the boating or season im looking for so im told. Im an outdoorsy kid and just recently got into boating living in WNC so im diggin the creeking and want to go to finish school but not have to give up my time on the water either if theres not much to paddle. Im wanting to move out west and major in Engineerng whether it be soil and water engineering, environmental, forest engineering or bio resources engineering, you know something along those lines and I'm having trouble finding schools that not only have one of those options but also the boating and outdoors to back the school up and keep me sane when things get hecktic if you catch my drift... I've been told portland and seattle have good whitewater around and honestly im just wanting to know my options you know? What schools has the majors im looking for and some sick boating near them, a fun outdoorsy environment and community so i can keep progressing and enjoy my experience as well... So im toally up for any suggestions or opinions

I know this is alot to ask but if someone could help me out give me any information on towns, cities, schools, programs ect to help me way my options and figure out what I want to do and where I can go to finish school while still have fun and paddle

blissedkid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Colorado School of Mines; Golden, Colorado.

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Ahah. Do not move to the front range! Missoula mt might have the program you are looking for close to goods. Year round whitewater.. i would pick up skiing or boarding aswell.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #4
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #5
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Ahah. Do not move to the front range! Missoula mt might have the program you are looking for close to goods. Year round whitewater.. i would pick up skiing or boarding aswell.
Missoula has nothing resembling an engineering program, you have to head to Bozeman or Butte for that in Montana.

Don't forget WSU in your research. It is in Pullman, right next door to Moscow, although you'd want to live in Moscow even if you go to WSU. I am not familiar with their programs.

Bozeman is a great place to go to school. Lots of good engineering programs (I am biased as an alum) and a great place to go to school. I've been out of school for quite some time, but when I went the programs were small enough that your advisor looked out for you. No getting lost in the shuffle there. Butte (1 hr from Bozeman) is a super cheap place to live, and has a renown environmental engineering program, and if you want to do any sort of geo/mining engineering is the place to go (vs MSU). Butte isn't quite as outdoorsy, which means the play-spots are empty. The boating is all at least an hour away (or more), but the rest is close and uncrowded. Very, very cold winters.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #6
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
first of all make your school choice on the quality of education you will get, not what kind of boating is nearby. boating should be an added bonus.

having said that - look at colorado state in fort collins. great engineering school and excellent boating nearby plus other fun stuff in a great town. should be end of discussion right there.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #7
boulder, Colorado
I made the same mistake when I was looking at schools. I ended up going to CU because of the climbing, skiing and kayaking around boulder. While I have become prety good at all of these activties, for the last two years of getting my mechanical engineering degree I wished I was at a higher level school.

However, CU has a much better engineering program than these other schools and could be a good choice, but then again you have to live in Boulder.

Good Luck.

squeakyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #8
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Oregon State University in Corvalis Or. might be the ticket. Close to some great boating (Sweet Ck., Lake Ck. come to mind and not far to the Cascade runs either) although I can't vouch for the level of education, I'd bet it's very good.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #9
I did my undergrad at CSU in Soil and Water Resources, if you are looking for your undergrad I would avoid it. CSU is a great university for research which in turns causes the best professors to be doing research and teaching graduate level courses. If you're looking for a grad degree I think CSU would be a great choice. The boating and scene in Fort Collins in good, but keep in mind CO has a short season compared to the PNW. Generally, when school starts the season is ending and when school gets out for the summer the season is just starting. If you're looking for creeking I would look for something around Portland, year round world class boating.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #10
I would suggest looking for jobs in the field you are looking at. Are there jobs? Where are the jobs located? Most of the engineers we end up hiring out of school have been interns with us for a couple of years.

Figure out where you'd like to end up living long term and then work backwards. What companies are in that area? Search their job pages and see what types of engineers they are hiring and what level. Most of our engineer postings are for senior level engineers, but we do have posting for interns occassionally.

Remember that the competition for the jobs in the more desireable locations is tough. If you have internships on your resume you are more likely to get the job then the guy who worked at the coffee shop, kayak shop, etc. Also if the school has a career fair see which companies attend to get a better idea of which companies recruit at that school, do they have office in the area?

Regarding which degree you choose, think about what industries you can work in. Are you limited to one or are there other options. In some industires there are a lot of out of work engineers, but in others there are huge shortages.

kellip is offline   Reply With Quote