Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-19-2010   #11
Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally Posted by kellip View Post
I would suggest looking for jobs in the field you are looking at. Are there jobs? Where are the jobs located? Most of the engineers we end up hiring out of school have been interns with us for a couple of years.

Figure out where you'd like to end up living long term and then work backwards. What companies are in that area? Search their job pages and see what types of engineers they are hiring and what level. Most of our engineer postings are for senior level engineers, but we do have posting for interns occassionally.

Remember that the competition for the jobs in the more desireable locations is tough. If you have internships on your resume you are more likely to get the job then the guy who worked at the coffee shop, kayak shop, etc. Also if the school has a career fair see which companies attend to get a better idea of which companies recruit at that school, do they have office in the area?

Regarding which degree you choose, think about what industries you can work in. Are you limited to one or are there other options. In some industires there are a lot of out of work engineers, but in others there are huge shortages.

The absolute best advice anyone could ever possibly give!!

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Although I did not go to school at CU I have lived in Tofu town now for over 10 years and been on the front range for 25.

When I first moved here I had the same attitude as many of the people on this forum ( I would never live in Boulder). But after years of moving around the perimeter I finally bit the bullet and moved to town and have not regretted it.

This town deserves much of the flak it gets but if you can overlook it's faults, as you must do with any location, you can have a great time here.

The infrastructure for non motorized travel is some of the best in the nation. And the people here thrive on the outdoors. Even the old people are giving it hell. Trail running, climbing, boating, skiing, skateboarding, you name it this town has a presence.

You are also centrally located for trips to other parts of the west.

I will agree that most of the front range is a suburban wasteland but there are pockets if really cool sections of Denver and other towns that can be really nice. Some of the older parts of downtown Denver have allot to offer.

And the weather is really hard to beat.

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #13
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Bozeman has decent winter boating, gally, beartrap, and quake. Lots hot springs. Lots forest, lots of great skiing, less people with more people with your interests, in state is very affordable as is out of state tuition..my wife is enrolled in the architecture program which is super close to top of the list. College is awsome, town is not run down feeling. Very alive in every way, specially at night, plus I will go boating with you even if it snows.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #14
Paddling Since: 96
"plus I will go boating with you even if it snows."

C'Mike, you just jumped 2 notches in my book!

These freakin boaters out here don't want to paddle unless its 60.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #15
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
You had soil and water engineering at the top of your list. Consider this CO School of Mines has degrees in geological engineering, geology, civil eng, mining eng, environmental eng, and even a hydrology degree. If you go to Portland State Univ you can get a degree in engineering geology and other eng degrees. But geological engineering degrees ARE different than engineering geology degrees. Usually geo engineers work as engineers and eng geologists typically work as geologists. Engineers make more money but geologists have better jobs.

I am about to graduate from CSM with my PhD in geological engineering. I have worked as a geologist for 13 years and getting the engineering degree is definitely eye-opening and well worth the effort. To tell you the truth, a geological engineering BS degree would put you in position to get your PE certification and set you up with a quick carrer. Quicker than a BS in eng geology which would most likely require a MS grad degree for the same pay.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #16
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
I went to CU-Boulder for environmental engineering for my undergrad, I'm going to Oregon State University for graduate school in environmental engineering. I have to say, at CU clear creek was right there- 15 min drive and I could be paddling class 4. At OSU, it's a good 50 min drive to get some class 4 creeking- BUT, I am still paddling every weekend (in Novermber!!), and the season up here is just beginning!

I would say that you should look at the program though, because in any engineering program you will not have too much spare time... Also, a lot of people have mentioned Mines, which is a great school, but the program there has a very different philosophy on environmental engineering vs. CU (industry oriented vs. private or public sector/nonprofit).
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #17
80523, Confusion
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Ahah. Do not move to the front range! Missoula mt might have the program you are looking for close to goods. Year round whitewater.. i would pick up skiing or boarding aswell.
Um...Welcome to Montana. Some thoughts:
1. Montana State is the Engineering school, not Montana.
2. The Griz suck.
3. No Montanan would ever recommend someone move to Montana. Its un-Montanan. Now that you live in the 406, at least pretend to be un-friendly and localist. Gosh.
hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #18
Well like I said I've looked at UW which from my point of view and research has pretty good reviews as far as a school and the surrounding city as well the boating is supposed to be sweet and im wanting to have a well rounded education you know experience life college a change I understand that picking my major is a huge huge part and i totally agree but why choose a place that is the best school in the country but is also in the worst location in the world making you miserable if that makes any sense...

And I also understand engineering doesn't leave for a lot of free time but when i do get a chance and need a break from the stressful life of the egn dept id like to go paddle or take a hike in the woods to get my mind off things if that makes sense. I've looked into bozeman it was actually my first choose but i donno if its the place for me same goes for butte and most of colorado... I really like the reviews of of UW in seattle it has environmental egn and from what ive learned and been told its an environmental friendly place same goes for UI its football team may suck and not have best boating but the school seems to be pretty good in the fields im looking at...

Portland looks like a super sick place but i have never heard anything good and honestly the reviews arent appealing so far for the university of portland so if anyone has any info or insight let me know... hows seattle? hows moscow? does anyone know of anything in those areas or about those schools or any other places options?

I really appreciate all the info and help you all are the bomb so thank you so much, its really difficult finding what im looking for so everything you all have mentioned so thanks, if yall have any other info or insight about colleges, choosing a school/major where to move anything to help me out id really appreciate it....
Thanks Again!!!
blissedkid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #19
Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Environmental Resources Engineering • Humboldt State University
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010   #20
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Totally agree... OSU is a great university. I graduated from the UO, but OSU would suit your needs better. LOTS of great boating in every direction.

Originally Posted by pretender View Post
Oregon State University in Corvalis Or. might be the ticket. Close to some great boating (Sweet Ck., Lake Ck. come to mind and not far to the Cascade runs either) although I can't vouch for the level of education, I'd bet it's very good.

willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote