Old 09-15-2012   #11
San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 2004

its there, it just took 30 minutes to upload, it is sideways so u will have to rotate your head. Not really sure how to fix it

Cbishop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Yes, it seems to be working now. Thanks.

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Beer Man,

You are deep in the heart of Texas 's whitewater, the hill country around San Antonio/ Austinl,checkout 'Texas Whitewater ' by Steve Daniel.Nobody mentioned the one true natural class 5 in Texas,Rio BLANCO narrows, near SA.There are also more reasonable runs on the BLANCO and Lil 'BLANCO.North Grape Creek seems a lot like the Pedrenales. Guadeloupe seems like a great training ground for beginner /intermediate paddlers.

Manmade hair on South Prong of the Waxahachie spillway,near Dallas.Some play spot on the BRAZOS is the closest thing to Houston in the book.You are a lot closer to Mexico than most of us.Go to Cascadas MICOS for instruction, beginner waterfalls, and variety of runs II -V plus.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The man, the myth... Texas Ken!

If you can afford it, I would recommend taking a weeklong class at NOC or somewhere like that... good way to jump start your skills.

From there... get whatever you can in TX, and of course road trip to CO, NM, or wherever else you can.

If you really want to paddle, moving out of TX will be your best bet.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #15
Texas paddling is awesome.............when it rains a shit ton! That's the problem. No rain means no whitewater and Texas has been in drought mode for a few years now. I was fortunate to trade in my sit on top for a Dagger Freefall in the fall of 01, right before the 2002 floods when Canyon Lake spilled over on the same day I was swimming the Perd at 40,000 with three of my four partners. Rivers ran for months, so you could progress by simply paddling all the time. With nothing going these days, the best thing to do besides moving or roadtripping, is to get a playboat and boat the hell out of Rio Vista. Learn to roll. Grab the second edition of Texas Whitewater by Steve Daniel so you'll know where to go and learn how to translate rain totals from NOAA into sound predictions of what will rise so that you can actually catch the flashy stuff. Guage geekery is highly beneficial. Hopefully, the epic floods will return and Medina Lake can rebound from the lowest levels in my lifetime to spilling over into Mexican Creek and running for months or the Lower Guad at 5k or Buchanan spillway or Crabapple can go. And Beth, it's Crabapple, not Crapapple! I really was serious when I said it was good. That run is exactly what the LL black ops boat is made for. Evade landowners for an awesome creek! Good luck on getting some rain down there, and pick up a copy of the Texas Whitewater dvd, proceeds go towards keeping access open at Hidalgo Falls, the closest whitewater for any paddlers unfortunate enough to live in Houston!
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #16
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Originally Posted by Cbishop1 View Post
i found a playspot below the riverwalk, after it rains of course. There are all sorts of paddlers around San Antonio Austin if interested
Video worked for me. But the wave had a funny angle to it! Haha

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote