Mountain Buzz banner

Wanted, Safety Boater for FIBArk Pine Creek Race $$$

Tags
ark
3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  marko 
#1 ·
It's hard to believe that the 3rd annual Pine Creek Boater X is just one week away on Thursday June 14. We are looking for safety boaters and some other volunteers to help with timing/scribing. Safety boaters will recieve $80, a schwag bag, free race entry at any other race at FIBArk, and ample beer tokens. All other volunteers will get beer tokens. In order to get the full compensation of $80 cash I will need some more safety boating help with another race on the Sunday of FIBArk...if your interested I can give you details later. Anyone interested should either reply here or contact me Chad Hixon @ 719-221-8329. It is first come first serve so don't hesitate. This is a great way to help cover some expense's during the FIBArk weekend...see ya in Salida.

Chad Hixon
FIBArk President

#4 ·
You need a creek boat. The basic rescue gear. At least class 4 plus kayaking abilities. Experience getting gear to shore.

In the past 2 events the safety kayakers for the most part rescued gear. The throwbaggers on shore usually bagged the swimmers. But the main priority would be to make sure the swimmers got out of the water as soon as possible. Secondary resonsibilty is gear.

Last year we had 2 in the water below the hole and 2 on standby. We also had 1 in the water at the finish line and 1 on standby. But, we are going to change that to 2 in the water at the finish and 2 on standby. The safety boaters will all rotate from the hole to finish as needed. Miah Wheeler will be in charge of the safety team again this year

This rotation worked very well last year. The safety kayakers were never overworked by being able to rotate from standby (rest and watching) to in the water (working). Most safety kayakers commented that it was very easy money. However, that could change... it all depends on the number of swimmers.

#9 ·
Caspermike,
I have a Pyranha Burn (large) that you could use. I am going to be helping with the race, so no racing for me. Let me know. My cell# is 970-485-1924. I am going to be there first thing in the morning with Chixon setting up registration stuff.

Mark Olson

#11 ·
4 down, 4 to go

Thanks to all who PMed me and called to offer assistance. As of now I have four confirmed and am still looking for 4 more safety boaters and one more scribe/timer. EMT's are always welcome to come hang out and offer any assistance as needed. I do have about five firefighters from Salida coming up to help with throw bags so I thinks thats covered. Tell anyone who isn't working and could use some free beer and $$$ to have a happy fibark weekend to call me or MarkO. (Please only if you are comfortable running Pine Creek.)

On a side note. The Highway Patrol is hoping that we have less cars parked along the road this year. It is a possibility that you could be ticketed if you are parked along the highway. The solution is to car pool, park at the numbers put in and shuttle/carpool/walk up to Pine Creek, get their early and get a spot at the parking lot or come see the action @ the Steamplant in Salida on Saturday night. Sorry buzzkill, just wanted everyone to know that the parking on the highway isn't the best way to go. MarkO might be able to chime in and offer some more parking recomendations. We just want to make sure we make all involved happy so that we can continue this awesome race.

Thanks

-Chad

#12 ·
5 down, 3 to go

5 confirmed safety boaters. 3 more needed.

Parking solutions: Carpool!!!!! And park on the little dirt pull-offs that are below and above the main parking lot. Other than that... just use your best judgement on where you leave your car. If you park on the paved shoulder of the highway there is a chance that a state patrol could give you a ticket.

The river level for Pine Creek is looking BIG!!!! Game on!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.