Old 04-07-2010   #1
Mesa, Arizona
Want to start whitewater

I have had an otter XT for a while and paddled the salt river, AZ a few times and have a blast in the "rapid"ish sections. I got into some 3-4 foor swells one time and had a blast. I want to try kayaking fossil creek but I dont know if my otter xt could handle it. Here is a video of fossil creek, . Is it do-able in my otter?

Andrew Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I can't see videos at work, but I wouldn't do anything over class II light in an otter. Purpose-designed whitewater boats will be safer and handle better.

craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #3
x, x
Paddling Since: x
this is true. I was going to post last night but could not figure out what boat you have. Feel free to hike up and run the middle falls +/- 25' it is a pool drop. I would leave the rest for another season when you have improved skill and a stronger boat more specific to whitewater. All the drops are either sketchy with wood or there is a rock in your LZ +++++flows will help this but it requires good skill set and a few seasons of paddling first. Also, It is shortly becoming wild and scenic river and they are doing work all around the area as well as the PP. Do not leave a pinned kayak in the river at any time and don't flood the place with whexicans in prison tattoos saying "fool" or "eh" they dont know where it is in the first place, but when they find it.... watch out. This place is highly over congested with car tourist who don't get out of the car and gang bangers from page springs "looking to jump off some shit, fool". Thank god you have to Walk to it...
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #4
Kingston, New York
Originally Posted by Andrew Larson View Post
Is it do-able in my otter?
Probably. You could probably also ride a Walmart road bike on some fairly technical single track, too. In both cases there are much better options. The Otter and many other recreational and touring boats will let you get down plenty of fairly easy rivers, but you'll be happier, and probably safer, in a boat that's designed for the type of paddling you plan on using it for. Especially when the river gets more challenging, a rec boat like the Otter is going to be more and more of limitation. In some cases it's also likely to be a liability and could actually be a dangerous choice.
scagrotto is offline   Reply With Quote