Old 08-14-2004   #1
Walking into Gore

How logical is it for people to walk to gore or tunnel for Gore Fest? Also where would you start at to get in?

Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004   #2
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
I think the general idea is to wade/swim/raft ferry across the river at pumphouse and hike up to Tunnel from there. As far as I know there is no official trail on this side and the RR doesn't like you walking on the train tracks, go figure, but there also are no cliffs blocking the way. There is a trail from pumphouse into gore Canyon but it starts getting very vague around kirshbaum's and there is a cliff at Toilet bowl that will stop your upriver progress.

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004   #3
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
PS - Tunnel is as far as you want to go upriver anyways, it's the best rapid for sight-seeing, and hiking all the way up to Gore rapid would be very masochistic and probably require walking through one of the RR tunnels.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #4
Hiking all the way to Gore Rapid is indeed a miserable trek in the heat on the railroad tracks. You do have to go through railroad tunnels, AND in some places you have to climb down steep embankments to avoid being taken out by a train as they pass.

I swam across at Pumphouse and walked it alone last year.
Tunnel did seem to be more of a party, but if I had made it up earlier in the day, I'm sure it would have been fun to watch more boats coming through Gore Rapid.
A journal entry written the day I hiked up to Gore Rapid...
Whitewater Kayaking Photo & Video Journal
From Absolute Beginner on Paddle Day 1 to Advanced Big Water Paddler.
Savage Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #5
Paddling Since: 1994
tis true that the trail becomes spotty after kirsh and non existent at toilet, at least as far as i could tell. i tried the cliff last year and found a way to slip on the easiest spot, wedging my hand in a crack (luckily?) to keep from falling into toilet. from where i was dangling it looked like you could get around but my ruined finger (still not healed a year later, doubt it ever will) killed my moral for progress. hey at least i got to see some carnage at toilet including the guys flailing down in their blown out creature craft. if you do hike the trail, the rocks get slick as hell when it rains. duh! this year i'll be trying to find a team to raft with, even if its for fun. seems safer than the hike. i have run it once before. anyone need a paddler?? zach
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #6
Gore Fest info

Just a heads up to those planning on attending GoreFest this weekend.
Please stay off the Railroad tracks! This is private property and we do not want anyone to get hurt. The trains will not be slowed down this year. Be very careful! If you are caught on the tracks you may get a trespassing ticket and your actions may jeopardize future Gore races. This event is being permitted by the BLM and not everyone (i.e. the railroad) is very excited or supportive.
So everyone needs to stay off the tracks! If your along the river your O.K.
Also note that parking will be very limited. If your parking at Pumphouse you need to have a valid Day Use Pass ($3.00 per vehicle/day) and no vehicles will be allowed to park at launch #1. The best bet is to park in the gravel pit across from Pumphouse on the Trough road then take the shuttle bus to Pumphouse.
For those camping, the campground will fill up quickly. Event camping will be allowed at and around launch #3 for $5.00 per tent.
Everyone needs to thank Mark Joffe for all his hard work on keeping Gore alive.
If you need any additional info, feel free to give me a call.
Have a great time and be safe.
Please respect your public lands.

John Arkins
Upper Colorado River Manager
Bureau of Land Management
Kremmling Field Office
Kelgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #7
Catching a ride at the put-in with a raft would seem to be the way to go. Jump on board with some folks who plan to stop along the way to watch the fun. Maybe people could bid for spots on rafts with space.

I swore I would never hike it again after last year, so I would discourage trespassing by adding it was really, really not fun to hike up there.

I decided if I ever visit Gore Canyon again, it will be from river level in a boat.
By the way... I am not sure about the availability of my regular paddling partners for Gore.
Anybody who would like another kayaker in their group who will take lots of pictures to share...
email me. I will be free the whole weekend.
(I have paddled Gore twice so far this month. Scroll down to the bottom of the following page to see what I have been paddling and to get an idea of my experience level. I prefer to paddle with very safety aware boaters.)

Whitewater Kayaking Photo & Video Journal
From Absolute Beginner on Paddle Day 1 to Advanced Big Water Paddler.
Savage Snow is offline   Reply With Quote