Old 04-17-2007   #1
Voz Helmet w/ wireless communication

So I have seen a few ads and articles for this new Helmet that has a built in MP3 player and Wireless communication. This means that a group that all has one of these helmets can talk to each other on the river, kind of like a pro football team.

It's a cool design and it seems very useful for river running. However, I don't see kayakers making this sort of evolution on the river. We are a simplistic community in general and this seems very high tech for the river. I guess I could be wrong and I wanted to see what people think of this helmet. I wonder what it would be like if everyone could talk through a radio like this. You'd have to make sure you don't paddle with people who talk to much.

my other question: If you are getting chundered in a hole, do you get to listen to your friends laughing at you through your helmet??

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Worse than the laughing would be the "oh shit" that everyone yells as you botch your line and head straight for a pummeling.

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The laughing would suck but the "Dont go left. DO NOT GO LEFT!" from the guy who just swam out of the hole would be nice. I think with certain groups the idea may take off.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #4
I've used a cheap 2-way radio and can-can audio earflaps from Shred Ready for a couple years now. They work well, especially when you are trying to setup video or photos for a blind drop.

chambjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #5
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
I would for sure use it......It would make communicating with a new group of people a lot easier. It would be funny to listen to some people....(including myself) paddle

"Oh Shit....OH SHIT!!!"
Great idea by VOZ
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #6
It looks pretty sweet and could be invaluable on an expedition trip or in tight gorges without line of sight for hand signals.

Bottom line, it is too freaking expensive for most of the folks I know. Creek boaters in general are not all broke. It takes a truck, gas money, and a large amount of gear. But most that get out there enough might not be able to afford the system.

From the prices I saw it seems exorbitant. But I think most people would not buy the glasses that fit in.
Old 04-18-2007   #7
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Hey all:

The communications is set to be out later this year. It is in the works. Right now the focus is more on the safety of the helmet, as well as affordability! Right now the base line is $100. Its design and used as a multi impact helmet, and one of the only helmets using EEP foam. This helmet also comes with three sizes as well, and thats shell size not add foam to achieve a proper fit.

As for communications there are multiple avenues.... expeditions, and safety, and creeking of course has been a huge part of the conversations... Other areas are in Teaching and Clinics. Communication in other sports can tend to provide a sense of security, and when teaching a beginner it could help out with his or her confidence. The best part is the company is evolving everyday. The owners are super open to ideas, and you will see a lot unfold with VOZsports over the next year....

Hope this all helps! Im super amped!

Ben Guska
Team VOZsports

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote