Old 08-07-2008   #11

I actually think its great you're running for office and trying to make a difference in your community.

Look at the above responses - they are totally supportive!

My post never criticized your efforts. When I saw your campaign video it made me laugh.... Not in a bad or malicious way. It's just funny to think of someone a community has known in one way suddenly appear in such a different direction. It's not bad whatsoever, just not something you see every day. So... take it with a grain of salt and appreciate the exposure to your campaign and the recognition that you are perusing this. I think this post will actually create some awareness and exposure about your campaign and will be helpful to it - politics, ya know?

Seriously, if you are going to be in public office you will need be able to absorb MUCH more severe criticisms than any of the very light humor expressed i this thread. Politicians ALWAYS get slammed by somebody for any and every action.

Regarding my comment on running for office because of how you want to be remembered - I'd drop that line. Constituents don't care about that. They care about them. Other than that line, I think your campaign speech was pretty good.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CAMPAIGN! And bridge those partisan gaps - it's much needed.

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #12
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Admins, Is this legit?

Toa, if you, very cool you are dedicating yourself to something bigger. That said, I don't see anybody ripping you or your opinions down here. Just cosmetic garbage. If you bring the focus and determination you've brought to boating to help people, then we are all better for it. If you do go down a political path, the ideas you advance on the war, environment, etc.. will be challenged and scoffed at in this forum. 30% will think you’re an idiot, 30% will agree with you blindly. The rest will try to get a laugh at everyone else’s expense.

Good luck

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #13
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

I think your message is sincere and right on. We need more down to earth people, not professional politicians serving and running our local and federal government.

Good luck and I hope you win.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hmm, good point Canada, didn't occur to me that this was bogus. I'm turning into my grandfather... "Hood River, Washington". Is this bogus? Hood River is in Oregon and I don't see any Hood River Washington's.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #15
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
good luck tao! i honestly don't know what would make our country better besides more hookers and some cheaper milk prices so good thing your the politician..... i see him making some much needed radical changes.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #16
, Colorado
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
Regarding my comment on running for office because of how you want to be remembered - I'd drop that line. Constituents don't care about that. They care about them. Other than that line, I think your campaign speech was pretty good.
I thought his comment was getting more at "I want to do something more meaningful with my life", than "I want to make more of a name/legacy for myself". Just my interpretation I suppose.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #17
i think you are a looser with a severe case of little man syndrome and all you care about is publicity.

great example....we were at rogers creek in b.c. and you did not want to paddle because it was "high" and "jacque" your photographer could not get in to take pictures. you took off and we went in and stomped that shit. seems to me your intentions and motivations are way out of wack. you are a self-promoting, attention hungry, geek!

just because you were on "real tv" stunt boating and people recognize you, doesn't mean you are a good candidate for anything.

personally, i think you are a horrible representative of paddlers, who they are, and the community as a whole.
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #18
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Good ole' Hood River, that place. For those that don't get this, keep up your dialog with "Tao".

For someone making a living on are important for sponsors. So if he couldn't get some shots on Rogers and that's the reason him and Jock were in the area...why would that make any difference to you whatsoever. Maybe he was in the area just so that Jock could take pictures and was being inclusive of his friend to go somewhere they could both work together at instead of ditching the guy to go paddle. Ever find out where he ended up heading or were you too busy badmouthing him to care?
PaulGamache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #19
Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
no faith in the gov't, do it yourself...

I agree with Tao that we all have a responsibility to be an advocate for change and reform in our community, in our society and for our environment. I do however have to question anyone who believes that running for congress is the best way to do this, especially when you already have some stature as Tao does. Just my personal opinion but between special interest groups, big money, and congress people’s egos, very little change/benefits trickles down to “we the people”. That being said I am glad to be an American and enjoy my personal freedoms, I just believe that most people who “want to do more for society” are rarely an elected official and very seldom make headlines because they are out busting their ass in the trenches making an impact on a personal level.

Ps. I can’t think of a better way than politics to be lambasted and criticized by strangers and peers alike, occupational hazard I suppose.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #20
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If you want to pander to this part of your constituency, try a promise to relax drinking and rafting laws. That should score you a few votes.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote