Old 11-03-2004   #41
To say voters are good at judging the genuiness of one candidate over another assumes that voters - on the whole - are intelligent and pay attention. They are not. The fact is this: the average american voter is an idiot. Many people decided who to vote for based on 30 second comercials. That is unfortunate. This is not a partisan rant - it is the cold hard truth.

consider this tid-bit from the Times-Mirror prior to Bush invading Iraq:

"GEORGE Bush is on the brink of invading Iraq - but most Americans have no idea where the country is.
A survey revealed that only one in seven aged between 18 and 24 could identify Saddam Hussein's land.
And while more than half knew that al-Qaeda and the Taliban were based in Afghanistan, only one in six could find the country on a map.
TRAFFIC POLICEMAN JOHN RILEY: 'I must get this right. It's around here somewhere
Even more worrying - one in 10 couldn't pick out America.
When the Daily Mirror carried out a poll of 100 people on the streets of New York yesterday, we found that 80 per cent didn't have a clue where Iraq was. . . ."

Ever watch JayWalking with Jay Leno . . . .

The Republicans are smart enough to exploit this fact and Democrats have taken a view that many consider elitist - they we know what's best for you approach. This leads to some absurb inconsistincies such as folks voting against their own economic self-interest. E.g. most people think that wealth disparity in this country is a problem, but most people are in favor of repealing the what is labeled as the "death tax." The so-called death tax only applies to a small fraction of people with significant assets. The recent tax cuts clearly favored the wealthy and people are o.k with that while our country spirals into a deficit and goverment spending continues to grow. It makes absolutely no sense. These are just some of the totally inconsistent viewpoints of many in this country. This is most easily explained by the fact that most people are clueless and both parties like it that way.

I could go on, but I wish Mr. Bush well and hope he learns from the mistakes he's made but never admitted. A good start will be Rumsfeld's resignation.

matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #42
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
The same applies to Bush's capital gains tax. He cut the capital gains tax huge and it was supported by many who hardly own any stock. Even middle class america hardly owns any stock and some how poor people ended up voting for Bush.
A conservative co-worker keeps pushing the abortion issue at me as a reason to vote for Bush - "you like them carving up babies?" I guess that worked in southern Ohio, but my question for the state that has lost thousands of jobs since Bush's election is, "who cares what people in California do to babies if your kids are starving because you haven't worked in months." Regardless of where you stand on abortion, I believe there are much more pressing issues.
My other thought for the evening is on the fear of terrorism. Are people driving down 6th Ave really expecting a bomb to blow at any moment and take their life? Do they really think that Bush is doing something great that prevents this from happening? Two 16 yr old boys took over Columbine High - does anyone really think that Bush is keeping organized adult terrorists from doing the same?
Quite frankly, I'm much more scared that any police officer could pull me over, call me a terrorist because I sympathize with Afghan and Iraqi people, and then hold me indeffintely without trial. I'm more scared as to why grocery stores jacked up their prices and then offered cards that track all of your purchases for life and in return you get the original price. In my opinion, the most dangerous people in the entire world are not Osama or Saddam, but Ashcroft and Rumsfeld. Call me extreme all you want, but first look up the estimated Afghan and Iraqi civilian casualties and compare them to 9/11.

My congrads go out to the Bush team.
"You keep handing us the Bible while you're walking off with all the gold" - Spearhead

Stay Wet - At least kayaking keeps you honest

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #43
That is why you people lost. Keep it up, it makes it easy for us.
h2oxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #44
pnw, Washington
Your stepping off the edge there H20. Despite the fact that the Democratic candidate did not do a good job of driving his point home the Repub's won by the slightest of margins. The only way I can see that Bush won was the old choose the evil you know as apposed to the evil you dont. I am sorry that Kerry was unable to win but given the close decision Repub's have no room to gloat. The only consolation is that Bush is stuck trying to fix the mess he created in Iraq. I would say the facts will bear out how well he will handle it but then again it did not seem like facts really mattered in this past election anyway, cant see where they will matter in the future. And please dont talk about character, Bush skipped military service by joining the guard and then not showing up. Kerry at least went to Vietnam.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #45
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

Your arguments are very well though-out and convincing H2OBoy. Come with some facts or at least some content that's not second-hand and I might listen.

Look forward to a self-righteous administration doing what it deems "morally" right damn the consequences. Do you even know who Karl Rove is?
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #46
student/ kayaker
Send a message via AIM to goatboater
Man I love the democracy we call home: Every four years, the country is split in two so that we can all argue with eachother about which candidate is more full of bullshit. It doesn't really come down to who's a better politician, it comes down to who's better at getting the people to believe their lies. This time, Bush won. I think he is incapable of running our country, but I must commend him on a fine job of pumping Americans so full of bullshit that he could write anything off- in this case it was a freekin war. As long as the government keeps everyone afraid, they can get away with anything.

I'm quite optimistic though because now that we have given Bush four more years to mess things up, I'm sure he'll do something dumb enough so that everyone can see his true character shine. I have a feeling he won't let me down.

The attendant at Ted's Place: "And from now on if I'm working when you come in here, you take as much Nacho Cheese for your burrito as you want- it's on me (wink)."
goatboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #47
I really dont feel the need to counter your kook conspiracy theories. Just keep thinking the way you are and we will be just fine.
h2oxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #48
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

Who's the kook here? And where's the conspiracy? What's your daddy been telling you? Get your own opinions kid.
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #49
pnw, Washington
Mattyb is heading where I was going. H2o you must be very young and it sounds like very smug knowing that you are right and the rest of us are wrong. It's not quite that easy.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #50
Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hey H2otxt,

"It really doesn't matter, when Bush wins the Dem's will start all of their law suites to get into office so go and cast your worthless vote for our Vietnam vet and Vietnam hero. Just depends on what side your on. Good or Evil. You have made your choice and I will make mine. I really don't care what you have to say and if I had to choose between Kerry and Saddam himself, I would choose Saddam, at least you know what you are getting."

I don't see any law suites, do you?

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro" -HST
PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote