Old 04-19-2013   #1
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Visiting Denver

OK, I'm probably gonna tag along with my GF this October to Denver, where I've never been and I am looking to fellow buzzards to help me out on a few ways to keep me busy while she's working OR for a good place for us to daytrip.

Fishing and rafting are my passions (and beer), so I think this is a good place for me to spend about a week!

#1 will any floatable water be left in October when I get there? My guess is that the South Platte would be the most likely option within a decent distance...I really doubt I woud drive much futher than a few hours, closer the better. I have some 14' SBers and a tandem ducky to choose from if I were to bring my own or I could rent. I'm looking for something pretty straight forward, class III would be great and can deal with a IV or two as long as I'm in the round boat, but even a calm float that offers scenery or fishing will work too.

#2 If I could find a float I could fish too it would be great. That's the main reason I raft anyways. But I also would like some nearby-ish places I could wade fish...preferebly not too crowded (I assume the So Platte in Denver is crowded?). I'd probably prefer trout (cutthroat?) in moving water although I wouldn't mind hooking one of those pesky bruiser brookies I know y'all have lurking around in some of the stillwaters. Are there greyling there?

I'd love to make it to the Rocky Mountain NP, but are there any other maybe lesser known points of interest I should check out with my limited time there?...breweries, dive bars, live music, streams, parks, restaurants, ...any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance!

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #2
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Not much water left that time of year.

For fishing/floating

try the Upper Colorado (pump house) is about 2.5 hours, releases will keep river up hopefully above 500cfs or so that time of year.

Arkansas is about 2.5-3 hours from Denver expect smaller fish and lower flows more like 200+/- cfs.

Other than that expect a longer drive or bring waders.

Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #3
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
bump... case someone has something to add
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #4
Denver,, exhaustion
waterton canyon will still be a go for your ducky... it is a foot shuttle though.

the ark through Browns canyon and the royal gorge should also be ELFable.

other than that the Colorado is your best bet for a float and fish.

the good news is the fly fishing anywhere (and there is plenty on the front range) is great about that time of the year.

bump this when it gets closer for a more accurate picture. we are still trying to figure this years snowpack out.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote