Paddling Since: 1998

paddleprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #12
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by paddleprincess View Post
I thought it was cold, colder, clud.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #13
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yeah I learned that pool drop for easterners (Arkansas is east right?) seems to mean HUGE like HUGE pools in between drops while pool drop in CO typically means time for 1 roll before you get swept down the next drop.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #14
Indian Hills, Colorado
Unless we get some major snow in the next few months, it'll be a pretty dull year to visit Colorado in June. Not to be a wet blanket, but this year is looking to be so bad that it might not be worth the drive.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #15
Jefferson city, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks Guys

My friend is 4- for sure. He is working on dropping that minus before the trip. We are both working out high cardio(insanity) for the trip to be in better shape.

Thanks for the suggestions. We discussed having a day or two where I can go run some stuff out of his range so that isn't completely out of the question. I have the WW guide to the Rockies... It is an awesome book!

I have heard about the lack of pool drop style creeking. If you are familiar with Big Creek, West Prong, Ramseys in the Smokies that is what I consider continuous and what I am spending as much time on as possible in prep for this trip. My buddy can't get on any of those right now confidently. but feels confident on lower Big Creek, Greenbriar, Tellico, Little. these are more traditional class III-IV pool drop creeks here in the south east.

I am not too worried about water. honestly some of this trip is to just paddle elsewhere and get away. We want to mountainbike some too if anyone has a suggestion there. Living out of the truck for 10 days is the goal and having a good time.

PM me contact info if any of you are interested in showing us down.

Please keep more info coming as I am working on getting this planned.

clappt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
If your buddy is just dropping the minus from the IV-, be careful with clear creek of the ark. It doesn't look very intimidating, and boats well when things are going well, but things can get out of control in a hurry.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #17
Commerce, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2003
Have been on the fractions in '06 but didn't have the

skills at the time for numbers. Have paddled lower big creek and I would say that is the most similar to what they say is continuous out there. Not many "pools" but plenty of micro eddies and smaller eddies to pull into. If he is comfortable on lower big creek the continuousness shouldn't be a surprise. We are going to be out there the week after FIBARK and it sounds like flows are going to be low. I actually think that will be good for my group though as we want a little more mellow trip rather than something where we are pushing our skills Can push my skills in the SE all I want. I actually have more fun running easier stuff out there where I can concentrate on the scenery and take everything in more so than I would if I were running sections that were difficult for me.
ryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012   #18
Indian Hills, Colorado
Not trying to be a bummer, but this is a very low water year. The only rivers still running in a few weeks will be reservoir release. The ark valley near buena vista has good mountain biking and pine creek / numbers is fun at low flow. It's worth a few laps to learn the "fun" lines. Pine creek is legitimate IV at low flow, but numbers rarely gets past III+ below 600 cfs.

Another option to consider is camping near "buffalo creek" near the north fork of the south platte. the mountain biking there is great, if not non-technical, and the north fork should have a good reservoir release season. Foxton is a great class III above 400 cfs on the bailey gage. If you are feeling good in your boat and can find a patient guide, bailey can be a great solid class IV day. The downside of the buff creek area is that the scenery is good, but not great.

Durango has some of the best mountain biking in the world. The upper animas will probably be very low by the time you get here, but is an awesome way to explore the San Juan mountain scenery. Check with 4corners river sports for beta.

Gore may also be an option if you are feeling good and can find someone to show you down. The v's can be walked.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote