Old 06-09-2004   #1
Visiting Boater

I am going to be in Boulder for about a week before headig to Telluride for the Bluegrass Fest. Is anything running that I could get into? Maybe a play park or friendly run in the Boulder or Denver area.

I would also need to rent the gear.

I paddle in Central New York and am looking for 2+ to 3+

Any info would be great.

tomaselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Rentals in Boulder

Boulder Paddle Shop
Boulder Outdoor Center

There are other shops outside of Boulder

Play parks

Boulder Creek (west end of town)

Clear Creek in Golden (about 20 minutes south of Boulder)

Lyons (about 20 minutes north of Boulder)

friendly runs near Boulder (after work types of runs)

Boulder town run (starts in play park down through town, usual take outs
short run - Library
just a tad longer - Boulder High School
longer runs - 30th street, Foothills parkway, etc.

Clear Creek - put in right above first tunnel (below old dam) you end up in the Golden play park.

NSV has a class IIIish section above town. Not sure of the water levels (anyone from Lyons want to make a comment?)

A bit of a drive but close enough:

Poudre - Lower Mish (III), Filter plant (II+) - outside of Fort Collins

South Platte - Foxton (III). With favorable traffic, 90 minutes from Boulder

If you are have a full day, I would probably suggest the Pourdre, Foxton, Lower Blue.
If you have 2 days, I would suggest hitting the Ark (Browns, Fractions/Frog Rock)

Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #3
Where are you from in NY? I'm from Corning myself. Everything said above is good, and almost everything is running now. NSV in lyons should be pretty good right now, the section from 80Rd to apple something bridge should be a fun 3-3+ at this level and is a fun run. If you take it into town it takes a few hours but ends at a nice play hole. If you need a guide book ask any paddle shop for "Colorado Rivers and Creeks". Its the best guidebook I've ever seen. I'm actually going to be heading back to NY for most of July/August and will be looking for people to paddle with, probably taking a few trips to the salmon, Black, and Moose this summer as well as a few secret runs I know around the finger lakes if some rain comes through. I may be taking another class 2/3 boater out this weekend, if you are around and want to join us give me a ring, 303-817-0699. Enjoy Colorado while you're here!
NYdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #4
NYdan - I'm from the Finger Lakes - Honeoye - I didn't start boating until I moved to Colorado. What creeks are you talking about? Ithaca area?
ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #5
Some around Ithaca, there is one north of ithaca that is really fun if its up, and the creeks in town are AWSOME if there is flood conditions. There is also a channel between Keuka and Senaca lake that is a fun 2/3 when running and it has a couple of fun little waterfalls to make it interesting. There are a few others in the area, but most need LOTS of water to run, luckily I think they have had a good year for water this year. I cant wait to get back on the waves on the black, they are the best!
NYdan is offline   Reply With Quote