Old 03-23-2010   #71
You can do it in a shredder

If you make a tidy backpack out of your shredder you can easily carry it the first six miles on the well worn trail. It's likely you'll make better time than those bumping and grinding in a creekboat. I've done it both ways- here's a picture of me carrying my 10' puma when I R2ed with my wife.

PS start early, be prepared, have fun, etc.

timmypayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #72
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Nice picture, makes me think... Do people do the walk to the confluence and back as a day hike? Is it worth it? I'm headed that way tomorrow.

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #73

I'd guess the biggest problem this weekend would be the road in. It could be snowy and Muddy. It's a beautiful place, but I'd guess that this weekend there would be better 12 mile hikes at lower (warmer) elevation.
Old 03-23-2010   #74
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
just to be clear I believe there is NO WAY this is gonna run this weekend 3-27/28

remember that you need about 400cfs on the virgin gauge, certainly no less than 300 and at that it is 6 miles of hiking.

temps are in mid 60's
flow is like 90cfs now
cold and rain in forcast and more mid 60's

maybe 2-3 weeks
I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #75
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Gotcha, I figured that, not even taking boating gear. Thanks.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #76
I second that - not worth it this weekend

This is the good weekend to quit your job and drive to Tonto-Salt area and work your way north and through higher elevations for about 3 weeks until the virgin runs.
Old 03-23-2010   #77
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If you are looking to hike from the top to the confluence and back, I wouldn't recommend that. Confluence is getting close to the 1/2 way mark and you would be better off hiking the entire canyon. Some folks do the whole 16 miles in a day hike, but thats a long hike, and you probably want lower water for that. If you want to hike from the mouth of the canyon upstream, thats a good day hike. Most day hikers won't make it to the confluece with deep creek, but you can get into the deepest part of the zion narrows (wall street) and see some really cool sights. I'd hike up from the bottom, and turn around as timing / weather dictates. Not sure what the current flows are like for hiking. You would be in the water a lot and would want good drygear.

Google zion adventure company if you want some more info on zion hiking and canyoneering. Cool info there. They also rent 5.10 canyoneers which are the most badass shoes to be hiking in a riverbed in my opinion. I use the canyoneers for boating now after getting a taste of how good the traction is on wet rock when I did a top to bottom hike of the narrows in the fall. They can also give you some beta on flows and how it impacts hiking.

Do some digging on some of the canyoneering sites too. There are some really cool slots in some of the side canyons. If the narrows has too much water, there are many other cool hiking options. If I was heading to zion, I'd bring my drysuit and my best water shoes and go hiking through the slots.

Here is a link to some hiking options on the park website. They quote 120cfs as the max for hiking permits, but apparently a day hike from the bottom doesn't require a permit unless you go above big springs.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #78
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Deep Creek

Done a little research. The Narrows have been done from Deep Creek. The trip I found out about launched near Virgin Flats, below most of Deep Creeks tributaries. They used duckies. Not sure how they dealt with the private property but if you can get there the TR said it's a 15 minute walk to floatable water. It became a wilderness area in 2009 but I can't find any legal access, to the lower section, except going upstream from Zion. I'll try to find out more. I can't figure out why the Utah locals would be hesitant to give a Colorado boy some beta. CE you know anybody down there?
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #79
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
sweet, finally some beta. from now on boaters forum for boaters. chit talkin can go on inda river betty forum. howbout that 4/20 date?? gonna run?
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #80
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Hey Tom, Christian, Ian ,5hole You guy want to hit this up? I am on yer way as long as its a weekend I am in, I can also take off a friday or Monday.
Let me knows

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote