Old 05-08-2010   #181
Utah's got bigger access problems than NPS closures.

Go to:
UTAH River Access - UT HB-141

Is the putin on private land?

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #182
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Did anyone receive a response to their letter(s)?

Other than the non productive chat with Ray the ranger I have had no feedback at all.

Zion by the way has been running consistently for over a week now (this historically has not happened since we all started boating) and dare I tell you it has been JUST outside of the 600 cfs bullshit restriction.

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #183
No response.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #184
Paddling Since: 96
Has anyone been in there in this stretch? (barely 600+) Are the "authorities" monitoring the situation closely? Thoughts on a stealth run? How doable is the run with a sub 600 peak with an overnighter?
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #185
Salt Lake City, Utah

Went in there on last Sat the day it peaked at 500. The stretch from Chamberlin down was brutal-actually hiked the first 2 miles. There is a fair amount of fallen debris in the river channel but nothing that can't be easy portaged over or around. There is some wood after the deep creek confluence. Just down from Kolob creek is a river wide log jam that could creep up on you. Also farther down is a log that can be limboed under but blocks the only two channels of a small boulder garden. The right channel is almost completely blocked. It is still fairly cold in the narrows with some snow still hanging on in places.

With a recent trip in my mind here are some general thoughts not directed at anyone. I'm reminded that itís a very cold bad place if you were to take a swim. No farmer John wet suits or polypro-drytops and dry suits for sure. Other overnight and survival gear is a must as well. If you take a swim in the narrows you will most likely be swimming for a ľ mile at a time in water that was recently snow. If you or a member of your group may swim be prepared for it.

Here is my opinion of a stealth run not directed at you Phil but you did bring it up. I would not even consider stealth running this stretch. You basically take out at the most populated part of the park and people will be there late into the evening. There is also no place to park your car because you need a permit to park at the narrows exit. If you tried to boat out through the park you will be seen because you go right past the interpretive center and a huge camp ground that is always full. This stretch has had enough high profile problems in the last few years. The last thing we need to get the flow restriction lifted is to piss the rangers and park service off by poaching the run and getting caught.

Do it the right way. Catch it on the way up after a cool down and get in on increasing flows. Or sack up and hike in till you get to the confluence. Consider it training for all the harder runs you'll do for the rest of the season. The back country desk told us that several parties had run the canyon and that they had not received any feed back on flow, hazards or over all experience in the narrows. I happened to have a brand new boat for the run and took before and after pics in order to show the park service the wear and tear the NF created on my boat even though I hiked two of the six miles to the confluence. After talking to people down there my feeling is that the flow restrictions are not set in stone and if we take the proper steps they could be modified for the better or lifted. I plan to write them a letter and get them my thoughts on our experience and my thoughts on flows. Itís my opinion that flow restrictions need to be raised.

Amazing place to run through and on different levels deserves both inexperienced and experienced boaters respect. Well worth any effort to get in there including taking days off work to get the right flow.

We also boated Timpoweap Gorge which I have boated many times and had a great time. In three miles there are probably 12-15 class 4-4+ rapids with one ugly 5/portage. Easy shuttle that could be hiked or biked. Great for a warm up or cool down

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_NF Pan 18.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	2624   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_P5150069.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	2625  

Name:	resized_P5150168.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	2626   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_P5150161.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	2627  

Name:	resized_NF Pan 7.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	2628   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_NF Pan 15.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	2629  

smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #186
Paddling Since: 96
Thanks for the update SMCB. Those photos reinforce my need/intention to get in there.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #187
window is opening

I was with Sam Saturday and echo his thoughts. I think it's important to maintain good PR with the park, for instance the backcountry desk seemed very frustrated that none of the parties this year had given feedback about their run. I see "feedback from your run" as a great opportunity to tell the park how low it was on the top, how comfortable you felt in the meat of the run, etc. As far as they know every run in there is an epic.
It's arduous to get in the first 6 miles, but totally worth it. Some tips:
you can hike the road on river left about 2 miles of easy walking. You can put a tether on your boat and push pull it along through the 40 cfs. You don't always need your sprayskirt on 40 cfs. Start early.
I don't want to classify the rapids but do remember every consequential move involved wood. So take browns canyon and throw 4 or 5 60 foot logs in choice places. Or what about Marsh Creek, I don't think it even has rapids, but you can get in trouble with wood. There is only one portage after the confluence as of Saturday.
I think that, unless there's a lot of rain, yesterday was the melt peak. It should be shaping up to be ideal this weekend. If you keep an eye on the gauge, with cold fronts moving through, you should be able to find a peak under 600 cfs when it is on its way up. I think the snotel gauge, especially minimum overnight temperature, is as valuable as the CFS gauge.
SNOTEL Data Report - Daily Readings
Have a great time and be a good ambassador, as sam said the rangers, the backcountry desk, and 300 tourists at the takeout are watching to see how boating goes in there this spring. And ditto the timpoweap suggestion, despite the hike in putin, and need to call Pah tempe for takeout permission, it has 80% of the virgin's whitewater in 3 miles.
timmypayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #188
We ran it as a self support from Friday through saturday and it was the perfect level. 14 cfs at the top, 600 or whatever at the confluence. I don't agree on the poachability assessment, I think it would be quite easy to poach. You just need to float past the turnaround for a few miles to the lower bridge and act like you ran just the roadside stretch. We decided there are 3 things that are mandatory to make this run really fun. We had a really good time in there:

Rule 1: Medicate adequately for the 14 cfs to where it is funny, mysterious and confusing. Whatever it takes to get to that point, go with that because you have 6 hours of it. This makes the mystery 15 footer more fun as well. We floated rt from the put in.

Rule 2: Do it as a self support 2 day. The canyon is so beautiful you might as well stay a night in there. It is such a huge day, 8-10 hours, that breaking it up is nice. We floated down to camp 7, then floated all the way out to the Visitor center the 2nd day. This made it all great whitewater the 2nd day, it just gets better and better all the way to the VC.

Rule 3: Work as a team after the confluence. The New Testament nailed it that it is a class 3 expedition. It is only Class 3 but we ended up in similar situations to class 5 creeking expeditions where you eddy hop down one at a time and work as a team to get around the logs. I got into a few slightly tenuous situations catching must make eddys right above serious strainers and then directing the group into eddy's upstream. Nothing major but if one of the group did'nt have a good roll, they could have ended up in trouble.

After 18 pages I was pretty sure this run was now overrated. But this was my 3rd time through and it was really fun. The whitewater on the roadside stretch is really good Class 4 in the Court of the Patriarchs, it was great to end on that.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #189
Cedar City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1963
While poaching may be easy, remember the Park Service's general response to an activity that becomes a nuisance to them is an outright ban on that activity. Think boating in Yellowstone, base jumping in Yosemite.
In life, pain is unavoidable, suffering is optional.
pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #190
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Anyone in for a trip this week?

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote