Old 04-22-2009   #41
St George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Mud is one thing but that clay is another. I have been there and done that on this road. I have a cabin up above the turn off. If it rains you will be damn lucky to get within 10 miles of the river

MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #42
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I made a TR last year when we did it. If the current flows continue the shredder will be walking for a while...not further than deep creek confluence though (6 miles).
Remember to put on as early as possible as flows decrease from early AM. Even at 300cfs @ put in (which you will not get) I think the shredder is walking a lot.

Again: The run is easy with the occasional fence/wood issue.

There is a link for some pictures of the run, put in cfs, and flows before deep creek (and after).

My wife's due date is today for our new baby...alas I think I may miss this one this year. I would however risk a muddy road, chance of rain, and a chance of impassable road just to see that canyon again...super bonus with satan's staircase on day two too!

Pack a lunch, bring layers, and again, don't forget your fuckin camera!!!

Also, I notice the flows seem to be steadying close attention for minumum of 300 cfs this weekend before you drive!

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #43
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a group of 4 going down on Friday night after work. We have a 2 tandem duckie, 1 single duckie, and 1 playboat. I would like to run shuttle with someone. We would like to be on the river around 6 or 7am Saturday morning. We will go get the shuttle car that afternoon/evening after we get off the river. Others can do laps within the park. The other caveat is that we have to get to the backcountry desk before 5pm on Friday. I will pay someone $20 if they pick up 4 permits for us on Friday afternoon in addition to the cost of the permit. If not, we are stuck purchasing the permits at 8am and not on the river till 9:30am. We are coming from SLC. Paul ptannerprostheticatyahoodotcom or 8O144O5456.
ptanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #44
Paddling Since: 96
Talked to the shuttle guys and they checked out the road today. Its passable unless it rains and the dreaded clay mud shows up. Neglected to ask if high clearance 4wd was required since I'll be leaving my car at the takeout. I'm planning on an early as possible shuttle Monday morning if anyone is interested. $75 solo or $40 each with more than one. I'm headed to the San Juan early tomorrow but will try to check this forum Sunday. My cell is 207-266-8599. Also, if anyone could manage a wood report before then that would be great!
Have fun everyone. Pray for NO rain.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #45
bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
Zion narrows

I spoke with the guys at the guide shop. They said the climbing gear has turned into boating gear and that the road is open as of yesterday. He couldnt tell me how long it would hold out but said they have above average snowpack. Hopin for Wed the 29th putin.
mtpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #46
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
phil its going to rain.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #47
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Anybody want to go, or is going May 1st or 2nd. I could even swing April 30th.
Yamahamod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #48
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Anyone know about the possibility of camping overnight on this section at these flows? Is it possible? Is it courting extreme danger from flash floods or liquored up cougars?
-Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #49
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Not to hijack the thread, but I heard that the Virgin and Zion narrows is the same thing. That can't be possible. What's the verdict?
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #50
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Zion Narrows is the gorge section on the North Fork of the Virgin. Below that is Temple of Sinawava. Then the North Fork Meets the Virgin for the Bloomington Gorge section of the Virgin River.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote