Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-05-2007   #1
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Virgin paddler looking 4 solid III/IV runs....

First season paddling, have a solid roll in the chlorinated water but want to run a killer river. I think upper & lower rustic for my virgin paddle. I'm sure the scout of the narrows will get the mojo flowin!!! I'm looking for a experianced paddler to guide me through the gateway of one of the last true harnesses of mother nature!!

railryder21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007   #2
pnw, Washington
so is this just the standard troll or the new improved kind?

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007   #3
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but it takes along time to learn how to paddle class IV whitewater. It's not somthing that you just start doing after rolling in the pool. If the Poudre is convenient, I would suggest that you start your river running on the Filter Plant Run (between the confluence to a pullout 100 yds above the lowhead dam. If you like that, try the Bridges section. Then try Lower Mishawaka and then Upper Mishawaka. If you're successful, you will probably be ready for the Rustic Sections. Rustic isn't really that difficult, but it's probably better that you spend time on the lower, warmer, more often run sections. Keep in mind that I'm not saying you should immediately go from one section to the next. Spend some time learning the basic paddling skills like eddying, edge control, ferrying, etc. When I was new to the sport, I used to ask people if I could tag along on stuff like the Filter Plant. It's a good opportunity to meet new people and pick up some skills that you'll use paddling in the future.

I should probably say that my first kayak run was down Cataract Canyon III+ at low water, but I had a lot of experience reading rivers prior to learning to kayak. I was a little scared the whole way through the rapids. Yes, it can be done, but it's better to learn stuff in an easier environment.

Best of luck in learning how to paddle!
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007   #4
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
go to golden & play/run/hike the park. When you can hit every eddy & go where you want to go comfortably, then you should think about getting into the real river. S. fork S. platte is in my opinion a great first river run.

build on success, not losing gear your first day on the river, it sucks.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007   #5
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Be careful dude!

It freaks me out when people have more confidence than skill level.
Respect the river or it will beat you down.

I am not saying donít do class III because i learned to paddle on CA class III/III+ flood water. It scared the shit out of me and i rolled in every rapid at least once, but i was fine and was with 7 solid class V boaters. I also stayed in my boat, swimming is not fun.
Class IV is completely different. Like waterwindpowederrock said, if you canít catch every eddy in class III than you donít belong on class IV.

Sorry if that came out as a lecture...
I hope you will love paddling as much as everyone else on this forum. Good luck and if you wanna hit up golden or something let me know, my roommate is just learning as well.

"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"

CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
River friend:

I would agree with CEMartin above. There is far more to paddling than getting the roll down. I have been paddling kayaks off and on for 20 years and have never lost my roll. The ability to stay u[right in the first place can get very rusty and going over your head can be deadly at worst, and at best- just downright discourteous to the other guys who spend their precious time off fishing you and your gear out of the creek.

Join the CWWA, go on a couple of easy cruises, learn to ferry, brace, catch eddies and copntrol your boat. You ain't gonna learn this trying to get lucky bombing a class IV run the first couple of trips.

Welcome to the sport. See you on the creeks.

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote