Old 12-03-2010   #1
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Vietnam - recs and work?

Hello all-

My girlfriend is currently living in Vietnam for the next year, and while I am still undecided between just a long vacation or actually joining her down there for six months or so, I will be going there no matter what. So I am curious on two fronts, 1) what is the boating scene like in Vietnam? Will I be able to find a boat to rent or do I have to worry about bringing one? What about associated gear as well? and 2) How prevalent are whitewater companies, is there any possibility of getting a job on a river somewhere, or is my best bet for work to look elsewhere? At this point my girl is looking at Da Nang, shes got a month to choose but it's got mountains, rivers, and beach all really close. Any info would be much appreciated!!!

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #2
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I visited Vietnam in '66, '67, and '68. I have no need to see it again. The only rivers I remember seeing were flat and stagnant-looking.

The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It looks like there is some but not alot,search Vietnam Rafting.Dude you are a duckier and like hiking/exploring stuff,it is a mountainous tropical country.Take your ducky it is a no brainer.Running 2-3 stuff solo in a third world country is way more adventurous than say ,a class 4 on a well known local river.You could run easy stuff/nature floats,play in the ocean,accompany a raft trip,or sack up and bag a 1st D.It sucks lugging a boat and gear around though,travel way light on your non boating gear.You don't need much boating wear,just good booties ,swim trunks,a rash guard,vest,and helmet.I take a duffel with two breakdown paddles and some minimalist wrap kit and survival gear,I have never been charged any additional fees[ 6-8 trips w/boat to Guat/Bz],but the airlines keep changing the rules,was free under 75 lbs.Have fun and show us some pics,good luck.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #4
Golden, Colorado
If I were you I'd buy a surfboard to take with you and surf every day you are there. Your girlfriend will be pissed. Talk her into getting a place on the beach, not in town. Tell her you must be able to see the surf conditions from your front porch.

6 months is easily long enough to get the hang of standing up and going down the line. You will be able to figure out how to do some controlled turns. You will start to figure out a cutback if you are gifted. Leave the board with a local when you leave... Vietnam is the kind of place where you could change a kid's life by leaving a board. When it is over you will want to come back to California instead of Colorado.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #5
Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
I was there in '67, '68 and agree with Mogur. The place has no good memories or rivers, but there is surf. Better off taking a surfboard like Ture said.
"Each mile on a river will take you further from home than a hundred miles on a road"
Bob Marshall
catboatkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #6
Definitely bring a board, preferrably a SUP.

Here's a bunch of quality stuff in Vietnam:

Kayaking Vietnam - a set on Flickr

It's mainly far North for the kayaking goods. Maybe the problem in '68 is that Shit probably ain't all that pretty when you're gettin' shot at.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #7
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ I also would assume that vietnam may have changed somewhat in 40 years. i dont know, ive never been there, but 40 years is a long time....

but a huge thanks to everyone for the info. sounds like the whitewater scene is not really there. i guess i will have to seek employment in another sector, whats a fun job to do in a 3rd world country?
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #8
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Join her for the whole time! Vietnam was the highlight of our SE Asia bike tour last winter...with or without whitewater it will be amazing experience. People are wonderful, outgoing, and kind, and eager to connect with Americans, despite our tragic shared history. Don't miss the opportunity...

duncleston is offline   Reply With Quote