Mountain Buzz banner

Video: Soloing the Grand Canyon for 27 Days in January

7K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  Kyle K 
#1 ·
I've finally finished my Grand Canyon documentary, and it is online! https://vimeo.com/101371308

For some background, it covers the solo experience I had while kayaking the Grand Canyon of the Colorado for 27 days, alone, in January of this year.

Canoe & Kayak also had a bit about my trip in their magazine this month: Grand Canyon Alone | Canoe & Kayak Magazine

Thanks again to Bruce Cline, Robb Goodell, Tom Martin, and Harlan Taney for graciously allowing me to interview them for the film.

Enjoy, and get out there on the river.

#20 ·
Thanks again for all the support everyone. I think a lot of the time spent filming and editing seemed like it was the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish in this film - slaving away in front of a computer instead of spending more time on the water, but it's good to know it inspires and brings back memories. I may try to pursue filming/documentaries a little more seriously, so keep an eye out.

I definitely crave it now. You don't get the same experience with other people, which isn't to say one is better than the other, but the feeling of having so much freedom in such a magnificent place is pretty unique. I think next time I go down I want it to be with friends and family so I don't feel selfish, keeping the experience to myself, but would certainly go back alone in a heartbeat. Not only the Grand Canyon though, there's something special about wilderness time spent alone. It engenders a lot of introspection and soul searching that doesn't happen in the bustle of normal life.

#22 ·
I think this is everyone's fantasy who's been down the GC. Been through 3 times in the playboat (group trips), and have it in the back of my mind to do exactly what you did. Would be interested in the logistical quest you went through if you ever have the energy to put that out there. Just another 'Thank you for sharing'. Beautifully done.

#27 ·
Well done John! Best film I've seen on the GC yet, and self-produced too. You've got some solid skills.

I've been working and playing in the Big Ditch since 1976 in every kind of craft allowed down there, commercial, private and science, but I've never soloed it. Now you've got me planning away!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.