Old 12-12-2003   #1
video recorder for a kayak?

I am looking to rent or buy a waterproof video or DVD to record my adventures. I dont know where to start and sure could use some advise.

david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003   #2
Send a message via AIM to buick88
Your best bet would probably be to go to scuba diving web sites and check there. If you already have a camera, it would be cheapest to just buy a housing for it. It will run you a few thousand to buy the entire set.

buick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003   #3

Sounds like 'you dont know where to start'....
That being the case, a fully waterproof diving camera is going to be WAAYYY out of your price and ability range, too big to fit in a boat etc...

You need to get a nice compact 1 to 3 CCD digital camcorder, and then get a housing or Pelican Case for it.

Peli Case's ($15-$30) are way cheaper than housings (usually $300-$600) and in my opinion more reliable. Granted, with a housing you could shoot from you boat with wet hands while getting splashed......with a case you gotta get out, dry your hands, open your box and shoot.....but this is basically what everyone in the industry does, works.

You can get a decent 1 CCD digital for @ $400 these days? (havent been in the market for while) These are totally fine if you are just starting, want some quality but dont need anything beyond good home entertainment.... I like Sony and Canon. Canon's ZR series is a good boating camera (small and takes good shots, pretty easy features etc etc... @400 i think). Alot of industry professionals I know from videoboaters to film makers say that Sony's are more durable and last longer.....

Try for good deals on digicams and to see whats out there and search for other sites like that as well as 'digital camera reviews'
There are tons of consumer review sites out there.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003   #4
Ditto, meng I would just make sure that It has an Ilink or firewire connection if you ever want to edit onto your computer.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003   #5
Yeah, for sure, you wanna be able to connect to a PC. Pretty much every modern digi-cam on the market will have a DV Input (firewire) as well as s-video and (something else) ports.

Peter, if you wanna get a really sweet Pro-sumer level camera (3 CCD) thats affordable and great for boating ($900-$1200 last I looked) check out the Sony TRV 950. Sweet-as quality and has everything, including time lapse which is hella sweet.
Old 12-13-2003   #6
OOps... In above post replace Peter's name with David.
Old 12-13-2003   #7
Thanks for the great ideas.

david is offline   Reply With Quote