Old 03-24-2009   #11
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
looks a little like jamie pierre's ski jump, except without the jesus chatter...

tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #12
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
So here is the deal according to the guys that were there... That waterfall is was so huge and so much pressure that there was no way possible that you could keep from going over the handlebars, unless you boofed which would be pure death.

Call it what you will boys and girls, but Pedro went for 127 feet and pulled it off. He lost his paddle, went behind the veil, and rolled up off rocks behind the veil... paddling out with his hands! He's a great boater and fired off a world record. Jackson Kayak is proud of the Hotel Charley boys... Sending it huge.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #13
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Hugely impressive, just to step up and make the commitment to sending it.

Wonder if using Tao's old method of sticking a couple of milk jugs full of water in the bow could have kept him from going over the handlebars????? Just curious. My spine was cringing the moment he went inverted.......
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #14
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I know Ben will put an open throw rope and a few gallons of water in his bow to help. Pedro is a stud, so calm down Marty. But he took a major header from his world record waterfall. That looked brutal, it also looked like he tucked too early which caused the invert. What the hell do I know though I've only done half of that.He stayed in his boat and there you have it. Props to the new WR.

You guys can see Ben and Pedro on the today show tomorrow live. Thurs March 26 to talk about his once again pushing boundaries in a kayak along with some great and sick expeditions.

Gotta give it to the Jackson team as they are all solid and nuts. Getting a super hero this summer.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #15
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde

Nice to see the envelope being pushed. The landing was a bit interesting, but that definitely took big cajones and a some of that Texas "Watch this, oh shit" insanity. Henry freaking loved it. Someone remind me to keep him away from waterfalls.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #16
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981

So he didn't stick it, but he did it. That's how things get accomplished. He wanted it, he got it done. Perhaps, if there is a next time he might style it like no one else can. Perfection is usually only gained through experience. If not Pedro, then perhaps someone else learns from having watched him. Nonetheless, showing up is half the battle. I think it is awesome to see a team out their experiencing the amazing opportunities life offers us. Cheers to all the explorers that have ever existed and to all the courages successes achieved. Let's hope we never stop.
No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
marty. "That waterfall is was so huge and so much pressure that there was no way possible that you could keep from going over the handlebars, unless you boofed which would be pure death. "

why the f*ck would you run it than?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #18
to me this is a funny thing. mainly based on the fact that he didnt not only fall over the bars but front flipped the waterfall. usually when running drops of larger size, over 60 feet you will do all in your ability to stick the line be it ones ability to maintain an angle, or know how to re-correct part way through free fall. To me it seemed as if pedro came off the lip, tucked, and held on in a sense of oh shit! which is known to send a paddler out of control. world record, maybe but to me a decision that was far from thought through.
jomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #19
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Hate to be a hater but... style is and should be a huge part of our sport. World Record sure, style points zero. Having no style i.e. going upside down/landing on your head/floundering out of control are actual factors in the safety of yourself and your group, meaning they actually matter.

If somebody runs Gore rapid but gets flipped in the sneak, peels out and gets broached on Gilligans and rolls two more times in the bottom of the rapid, did they still run it? Ya. Are they a solid class V paddler. Probably not. If you watch jomama or his brother run a giant waterfall you can tell they are amazing at tucking at the right moment and holding their chosen boat angle into the pool. This is the skill and the style for running huge waterfalls.

Props to the Jackson crew because they are doing some amazing things. I just wish the mainstream media and the kayaking media would latch onto the truly amazing feats these guys are accomplishing instead of the height of a waterfall that wasn't even run properly. The Indus expedition... OMFG! If you haven't been following that you're missing something way more exciting than this waterfall. Huge water, huge scary rapids in committing gorges in a very dicey war-torn zone of the world. That's where the props are due.

P.S. Marty I think you are wrong and that there is a way you could run that waterfall correctly and land with the perfect entry angle. Am I going to try it, probably not, but I bet that jomama or one of these young bucks is going to prove me right in the near future. Nice knee jerk defending of the team though, which kind of is your job.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #20
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
marty. "That waterfall is was so huge and so much pressure that there was no way possible that you could keep from going over the handlebars, unless you boofed which would be pure death. "

why the f*ck would you run it than?
Not here to criticize or judge but that excuse screams BS to me. The volume on the slave is probably 100 times that. And its not like he went over vert at the last 30 feet, he did it like 50 feet in. Oh yeah and Tyler didn't go over the handle bars. Just seems like a really lame argument when you start to think about it.

Just admit that you blew the line bro, no need to justify anything when you ran something that big.

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote