Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-20-2008   #11
Originally Posted by mizzcurrent View Post
Yea, I never thought I would be writing anything on this, other than just happy fun stuff. I kept writing and re-writing. Must have hit something wrong, not the final post I meant. But Chris talked to Vaughan on Monday, and asked how the trip was going, and Vaughan said something happend, don't want to talk about it until I get back home. It was Ranko, Randy, Randall Johnson from Grand Junction who passed away. Vaughan and Angie and many other folks including me had the privalge to be on the River with him. Think he may have had a heart attack right before going into Hance, class 8. Tried to revive to no avail, Park Service could not reach them, inclement weather and rough terrain, had to take care of his body overnight, then go close to 10 miles more to Phantom Ranch, where he was air lifted out. I will call Chris sometime Thursday 3-20-08 and get back. I can't even imagine what Vaughan, Angie, Dave, Gretchen, Shaun, Able and the rest have been through. My prayers are with them constantly.
Thanks Brother... just talked with my mom (Frankie) and made sure she got the right info before she went into FULL PANIC MODE! She is cool knowing that Angie and Vaughn (and the rest of the crew) are cool. We talked about how the remaining days of the trip must be... CRAZY (to say the least b/c we have no idea how that would be or what the involved parties are dealing with). I know my mom talked with Amy this evening and will talk with one of the guys on the trip who left at the 1 week point. From the little speculation I've heard... it seems that the river was just there to provide a comforting place for him to rest his weary body... and did not come for him...

Thank you... Bo

evojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #12
Originally Posted by cnasteinke View Post
Hey Bo - Steinke's here. Amy talked to Frankie tonight, and hopefully she called you with the details. Angie & Vaughan are safe, and we only know details because a friend hiked out after a week on the river with them. Ask Frankie for our number if you want to call and talk about it. Vaughan trying to connect every couple of days via satellite phone, but connection is sketchy. We will send our love to them the next time they call. It will mean a lot to them that you are thinking of them. Take care -- Chris & Amy
Hey guys...
Got in touch.. with mom as you can see from my other posts... Thanks... as you can see no one is very far from my thoughts and concerns even though I'm far away! Times like this just affirm how close we all are... in life and in spirit. Thanks again and have a wonder full evening... Because
this part of our journey is very fragile and special... Bo

evojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #13
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 85

Hey All,
Best wishes to all family and friends. Sorry about the loss. May the river gods smile on the rest of your journey.
sno2h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #14
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Memorial Service in GJ on the 29th.

Found out about this on Tues as we are friends with most of the crew. My thoughts and prayers go out to all envolved as this is terrible news. To Rankos family my depest condolences. I have just found out that a memorial is scheduled in Grand Junction for the 29th. I dont know if the crew will be off the river by then and we have thought of meeting them at the take out to show support and help in any way we can. This is a wonderful group of people we have had the privilage of sharing the rivers of the west with and I hope they have a peaceful journey for the remainder of the trip. If any one is interested or has the time to go and meet them at the take out I think it would be greatly appriciated. Please post and let me know. Jeff
monarch4030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #15
C. Springs, Colorado
If your going to meet them at Diamond Creek, beware there is a $60.00 per person and $60.00 per car fee to be down there. You should check with the Hualapai (sp) Indians before you go.......maybe they will waive the fee due to the circumstances.

Condolences to the family and friends involved.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #16
Ranko memorial service/family wishes

As published in our local papers,today,Randall Johnson (Ranko) memorial service is set for 2pm,Sat March 29th,at Martin Mortuary chapel,550 North Ave,Grand Junction,Colo,970-243-1538.His family has requested,in lieu of flowers,that donations be made in his name to the WATER club,PO Box 2151,Grand Junction,Colo 81502,to help promote water safety.If you can attend ,i know it will mean alot to his family.......
btt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #17
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My heart goes out to his family & friends. The river giveth and the river taketh away. I hope that we all remember this and have a safe summer.
life is too important to be taken seriously
krashhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #18
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Heart goes out

My heart goes out to all my friends on and off the river right now and to Ranko's family in Grand Junction. As we all know, the river Gods sometimes have a different agenda then we do. Be safe everyone.
Love and Peace,
Little Bit (Jenny)
Littlebit (Jenny) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008   #19
Emma's Rivers
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
View/Sign Guestbook Here is the full obit. You can leave a message in the guestbook.Randall Paul "Ranco" JohnsonRandall (Ranco) Paul Johnson September 9, 1962 - March 16, 2008 Randall Paul Johnson lifelong resident of Grand Junction passed away on the rapids of the Grand Canyon doing what he loved on March 16, 2008. Randall was born to Charles and Virginia Johnson in Grand Junction, Colorado on September 9, 1962. Randall was an avid sportsman while growing up in the Grand Junction School system, graduating from Grand Junction high school in 1981. Randall enjoyed watching the Denver Broncos and playing volleyball, however his true passions were spending time with family and friends and the rivers he rafted. Randall leaves behind his parents Charles and Virginia Johnson of Grand Junction, Colorado; two brothers Rodney and Robby both of Grand Junction; nephews Charlie and David and niece Sarah. Funeral services will be held for Randall Saturday March 29, 2008 starting at 2:00 p.m. at the Martin Mortuary Chapel. The family asks that in leiu of flowers donations be made in Ranco's name to The Water Club P.O. Box 2151 Grand Junction, Colorado 81502, to help pay for whitewater safety and search and rescue.
mizzcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #20
Silverthorne, Colorado
Attending Memorial Service

Has anyone heard from the group directly to know their plans? I think it would be hard for them to notify the Hualapai tribe before they get to Diamond Creek, but if we know they want to exit there, perhaps we could contact them? Even if they won't waive the per person & car fee, perhaps they would reduce the rate at least? Please let me know if someone out there has heard a confirmation that they want to get off the river at Diamond Creek, and I will see what I can do, as I have had some contact with a local helicopter company who might help us talk to the tribe. The other issue is getting enough cars/trucks at Diamond Creek to help with the take-out. Wouldn't they have to get off the river on Friday the 28th in order to make it to Grand Junction in time for the 2pm Memorial Service on the 29th? I'm not sure of all of the logistics...

cnasteinke is offline   Reply With Quote