Old 07-25-2007   #1
Vermont paddling?

Have to head home to upstate new york on friday for family purposes. Didn't start kayaking till I moved to colorado so I am looking for beta on rivers to run in vermont and new york. Anyone recommend shops where I could rent a boat and a paddle? Bringing my gear on the plane..... Thanx in adavance for any info!

sandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
I'm pretty sure the AW Deerfield River Fest is this weekend - if so, it's in western Massachusetts, and not too far from the albany area (maybe a little over an hour). The Deerfield is a decent class III. Nothing spectacular but pretty for sure. The festival that follows is worth hitting up for sure, but the camping situation out there sucks.

You're probably not going to catch much in VT unless it rains a lot.

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #3
For once I am kinda hoping for rain! It's supposed to rain most of my ten day stay, so i am just keeping my fingers crossed. Going to VT to see friends from college so I was hoping to make it worth my while. Len, thanks for the info............
Old 07-25-2007   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
if it does rain a lot, there are a few runs definitely worth hitting up - mostly chill class IV'ish creeks...

West Branch of the Deerfield
Ball Mountain Brook
Wells (Mascoma is just over the boarder in NH - fun/short urban V)
New Haven

I know there are a bunch more, but those are the decent ones I'm familiar with from living out that way.

The Rock is also fun and really pretty if it's up more of a river/play run

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #5
Lots of good stuff to paddle, Bruce Lessels has a guidebook, then I think someone came out with a hair of new england type book. Most depends on rain, but what doesn't depend on rain and is the goods is my favorite nation:
Oh, Canada...
big-ass play to be had in Montreal- La Chine, Le Habitat 69 or 67 or somesuch, and if water is big, the Richaleau

Not to mention the rouge nearby with good playboating or stomping big drops through the seven sister

Ottowa is a bit further, but oh so sweet.

Middlebury VT has some park & huck, with some more stout stuff upstream depending on rain
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #6
Yo Buddy

Don't even think about getting in a kayak till you swill that "BOOTIE" beer that you still owe. Once you do that, you will find some H2O where you are going.
PS, da "deer" is good in New England?. Not sure if it is in. Later, Atom..
action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #7
Julesberg, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
there are two really good guidebooks... New York Exposed, The Whitewater State vol.1 and 2. When you get there either go buy them or poach barnes and nobles and flip through the pages to get a good idea. And if you are up for the drive go to the OTTAWA hands down awesome place to kayak.

There was supposed to be a play-hole built on the Sacandaga (west of lake george) but they screwed it up.

The hudson gorge is dam release and usually runs through the summer, good class 4 run with plenty of scenery.

***CHECK OUT - the northeast's version of mountainbuzz.***

Good luck finding a paddling shop. There is a place near Albany that will rent whitewater gear, Adirondack Paddle and Pole
Ryde164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Go to this - its a ton of fun and there is good boating there.

Such as the Dryway . . . American Whitewater - NWRI - Deerfield Monroe Bridge to Bear Swamp
don't worry if its not flowing when you look at it cause its a dam controlled river - here is the release schedule SITE

In NY State you have to go here Black River, Hole Brothers

And then extend your vacation to go to the Ottawa - cliveseye home 4

Have fun - there is a ton of good whitewater in New England - its where I learned. The AW website has really good coverage for rivers up there.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #9
Thanks for all the great info guys! Anyone know if a playpark ever got built in watertown, NY? Deerfield sounds like a good plan and maybe the black. Don't worry ATOM, i will pony up and slurp that booty juice!!! Talked to marjo about running the ark before they turn off the tap! Crazy busy summer and i missed paddling with you and the Hawaiin Tropic pine creek run! Marjo told me about a swiftwater saftey class in NM, I'm in when is it? PM me any info, Gracias Mi Amigo.............................