Vermillion River - Illinois - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2017   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Vermillion River - Illinois

Has any done this stretch recently?
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...detail/id/651/
Just curious if there are any kayaking buzzards in Illinois.

AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I haven't done it in a decade since I lived out there but it should be good to go. Run the lowhead dam (by the factory towards the end of the run) on the right. Also, there is a fun hike and huck on the creek that comes in on river right about 100m downstream of Wildcat (the "big" rapid on the run). It's about a 10 minute walk up.
pbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #3

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find somewhere/one to rent me a boat when I fly there. I'm guessing there's no kayak shop in Oglesby.
AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017   #4

Vail, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ boater View Post
Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find somewhere/one to rent me a boat when I fly there. I'm guessing there's no kayak shop in Oglesby.
Why not rent a packraft? They pack and roll up so small that you can pack it up and put it in your carry on luggage with you
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Geneva Kayaks (about an hour or so North of the Vermillion but sort of on the way from O'Hare) rents boats Geneva Kayak Center: Kayak and Conoe Rentals. I used to boat with the owner way back in the day. Nice guy. This river is pretty rain dependent but flows seem good at this time. Also, I was wrong about that waterfall hike. It's on river left.
pbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #6

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
you could try the spinlister app....
steven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Be aware that they have been having trouble with the cement factory blocking the river and harassing boaters at times. When I lived in IL back in the early 2000's we would run that all the time, tried to run it two years ago with my old paddling buddies when I happened to be in town during the rainy season. There was a big no tres sign at the put-in warning us that the river was block three miles down stream. We put in anyways and ran into trouble. Big wired fence across the river about a 1/4 mile from the damn. We were able to walk around on the states park side of the river. Then in the narrows there was another one right at the bottom of the rapid, it was running about 4ft that day so eddying out was sketch at best. When we got out, there were people screaming at us from the factory that we were trespassing and that the police were called. We ignored them got back in our boats and enjoyed the rest of the run. That's when we were greeted by the county sheriff at the bridge and promptly given a trespassing ticket each. I have read on the AW web site recently that there were plans to get this run open again but tensions were still high with the factory owners. Again this was almost three years ago now and I am not sure what the current situation is. It is unfortunate because that is a amazing stretch of river by mid-western standards
Old 04-22-2017   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I'd go with you

Live in Chicago and been meaning to get over there. PM and let me know.
tmcdevit is offline   Reply With Quote