Old 10-29-2008   #31
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I second the 5 gallon gas can idea. Plus it utilize's the K.I.S.S.(Kiss-It-Simple-Stupid) method of payback.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #32
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
So let me see if I get this right. Our only defense is to have locking caps and weld some steel around our gas tanks to make it so they can't punch a hole in it to drain the gas? That and I had removed my tool box from the truck to not take any chances. I will have to take my 1 gallon can and mix up a coctail to leave in the back!

All of CO is not that bad. I left my truck at the Catamount takeout this past spring for three days. The catch is I accidently left one window down. Nothing got stolen at all. The Loma site gets a bad rep do to it's proximity to Grand Junction and being right off I70. It is just too easy for purps to keep a eye on it and notice when vehicles are left there.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #33
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Its amazing that these thefts are happening in a place where there's not only a frequently-occupied campground a few hundred feet away but also in the Nat'l Monument where you have to pay a $10 fee to enter. My car has spent days there and never once have I worried about something like this happening because of the above.

Hitting a number of vehicles like this is pretty brazen, a federal offense, and takes a lot more than 20 seconds to execute.

As a civil libertarian, I don't like to say it but maybe getting license plate numbers for vehicles coming and going would help solve this problem. I like the idea of the 5-gal can with either sugar or octane booster in it if the NPS can't police what's within their own boundaries. The only problem is how to dispose of it if it doesn't get ripped off before you get off the river.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #34
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
This was common place in New Mexico when I was growing up.

All lawyers are scum, but vigilante justice can be too. When I was a kid a neighbor had someone stealing from his barn. Ended up catching an 8 year old in a bear trap. Unintended consequences suck.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #35
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sugar in the tank? Urban Myth!

Pouring sugar in a gas tank will not ruin a motor like most of you think. But it will cause problems. Sugar does not dissolve in Gas. Therefore it stays a solid and will most likely be blocked by the fuel pump sock or the fuel filter. In the unlikely chance that any of the sugar particles would get passed either of the filters it may partially clog an injector. But on more modern vehicles the fuel system runs at high pressures and would most likely would just clear itself.

Also dont waste your money on octane booster. That will only make the car run sluggish.

Octane Rating: A measure of a gasoline's resistance to exploding too early in the engine cycle, which causes knocking. The higher the rating, the lower the chance of premature ignition.

Basically the highr the rating the harder it is to ignite.

Cheaper idea fill five gallon gas can with four gallons of water 1 gallon of gas. The gas is lighter so it will sit on top so when they open the can they will still get the smell. And will give the same effect if not worse than the octane booster.

I cant think of any fuel mixtures that would truly damage an engine. But you could leave a quart of oil filled with sand and oil mixture and hope they take that and use it in there next oil change.
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #36
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I believe Karo Syrup was used in the "Monkey Wrench Gang."
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #37
Evergreen, Colorado
I'm now really pissed I just went out to my truck to get som Bungee cords out of the tool box and they broke the lock with a screw driver or something and stole all my bungees, rachet tie downs, 15 feet of log chain, tow receiver and shackle, misc. tools and the worse thing of all my purple and gold Vikings football that I've had since I was 8 years old. I need more ideas on how to get even. I'm sure I'll get plenty Vikings comments also.
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #38
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
dude, chad do you have some bad karma going on or just a bunch of methheads hangin around your hood. id be siiting in the car with a screrw driver hiding out and waiting for them to strick again or go lookingfor those bastards chances are they are still commiting criminal acts.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #39
Evergreen, Colorado
This happend at Split Moutain some time between Friday night when the Shuttle Company dropped the trucks off and Monday afternoon when we pulled off the river. I just didn't look in the tool box until today.
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #40
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Amethyst Farm View Post
We put in at Lodore and had our trucks shuttled to Vernal UT for take out. We were told that vehicles with locking gas caps had holes put in their tanks...

By the way - great trip, perfect weather!!!
I'm still confused. Do you mean Jensen and not Vernal?

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote