Old 04-26-2006   #1
Vallecito update on no way out

I rappped down into no way out yesterday (water level 1.76). Took lots of pics and compared to pics from the last 20 plus years....Hell now I feel old....The rock has been on the move for some time now. About 6 years ago 2 or 3 rocks moved downstream a bit. The picture it CRC shows how no way out looked a long time ago and you can see the rocks just upstream of the boater(on the river left). And the new pic that was posted in the creek section shows the 2 rocks in noway out. Two of them created what we were jumping off to the left to make the move in the drop. Some how this one rock has either shitfted up or a rock that was under it fell out???? But right now a boat will not fit under the rock and a rescue there is some what out of the question. But I think that at the normal levels 2.0 to 2.3 it should still be a go but it has made the run that much harder. When the water gets up enough we will go take a good look and keep everyone posted..... John B
There of a couple of pics on the creek section sorry they are not the best difficult hanging from a rope.......

keel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
yeah thats definately new from last fall. thanks jb.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #3
When I first saw the shot from E-ro, I thought there was some photo-shop going on. Couldn't believe that a rock could perch itself perfectly accross the existing (2).

Jon, thanks for risking life & limb. It doesn't look like water is piling up on the new rock, so does that mean it is a sieve with all the water going under with no room for boats? If so, that is going to make NWO a hazard to say in the least.

Maybe high water will knock it off it's shelf?

I don't want to be the 1st one down... Not sure how you could do safety unless someone caught the river left eddy above - dicey.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #4
Any chance that the new rock helped clean up the river left eddy next to it? I know it was shallow, and basically not a good idea to catch it before, but maybe we have a quick portage there if needed.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote