Old 05-28-2006   #11
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I've only met Adam once, standing above Whiteline. He gave me exactly the inspiration that I needed. Thanks Adam. RIP.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #12
RIP Adam

Nearly everyone in the Front Range boating community knows what a great boater Adam was. But he was a gifted athlete in many other ways too. Whether he was tele-skiing, mountain biking, road biking, or playing soccer, he was in his element when he was charging hard. It was not at all uncommon for him to go out cross-country skiing at night (by headlamp) after a day of downhill skiing. His skills were amazing, both in the water and on the snow. He was an inspiration (both as an athlete and as a person) to all who had the opportunity to boat with him. He had an air of confidence that was infectuous, and a positive outlook on life that should be a model for many others. He thrived on the hardest rivers in CO, NM and CA, and we will all miss him dearly.
I remember a run down Bear Creek, just Adam and I. He was leading me down a new and difficult (for me) run. His confidence in my abilities made me a better boater that day, and his judgement and character impressed me deeply.
My condolences go out to all of his friends and family. My thoughts are with you!
Darren Regina (D3)

dregina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #13
missing bigwater

Adam was Class V+ in everything he did... His enthusiasm for life was unmatched by anyone I've ever encountered. He was always positive, encouraging and confident in everything he did.

Adam dreamed big and went bigger. He was one of those guys who knows everyone...everywhere. It never ceased to amaze me who Adam knew. His skiing and college friendships ran deep. His buddies seemed to be around every corner. "Barron!!!" - people would yell from the ski lifts as Adam + friends rocketed down the slopes.

Like several others on this forum, I was in complete disbelief when I heard the news Sat AM. Not this Adam. He was tough as nails. He was unbreakable. I would crash hard when skiing with him, not him. I would take a swim kayaking, not him. I would shatter my wrist trying to follow him a high speed down a winding singletrack...not him. not Adam B. I had to call his closest friend immediately to confirm. "I wish I could tell you it was an Adam we don't know. But it wasn't. He's gone."

We'll miss you Adam. -- Your grin. Your laugh. And your huge heart. --
sdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #14
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Here is todays followup article

Durango Herald Online

I am actually impressed they didn't try to sensationalize this too much or make judgement statements in this article. I am also very impressed that the article mentions the county is placing the flyover photos on their website for public education instead of calling for restrictions. Thats awesome.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #15
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
when i saw the first posts i too was hoped it wasn't my buddy adam barron. no way, there are only a handfull of people who paddle comfortably at that level on those runs, and adam was one. it's very hard to believe he's gone.
always a pleasure to paddle with.
he was very close to his family and friends. he will be sorely missed.
rest in peace adam.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #16
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Hey everybody, I am so sad for all the people that will never feel what you all have felt through Adam. Down here we have all been driving up to Valle and looking everywhere for Adam. There are some Durangotangs that have been camping at the takeout and hoping for the best scenario. I spent a few hours myself in the gorge today going over everything I could. We are still pushing forward with this. Even though the paper says that a formal search has been suspended we are still looking, even the search and rescue personel. I just wanted everybody to know that we haven't given up. Johnny
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #17

Thank you for not giving up on Adam. If I weren't 1,500 miles away I'd be there with you - sadly, I'm still two days away from CO.

I started a new topic about Adam's memorial - but in case you missed it: Wednesday (May 31st) in Boulder at Chataqua Park (the amphitheater, I think) at 3pm. If any of this information changes, I will post again. m
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #18
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Send a message via Skype™ to tsavo
memorial for Adam

Do you think people would be receptive to 9 news showing up at the Memorial???? T. Cole
tsavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #19
I think the news showing up would suck. However, given that the date was just set and it's two days from now - I don't think his loved ones would feel too great if none of his friends and paddling buddies made it because they didn't know about it. I'm sure you could contact the site administrator and have it removed if you think news reading these posts and showing up is worse.
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #20
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
To all...

It's been really rough hearing the news yesterday about Adam. We were supposed to paddle together this weekend, but our plans got tangled up and I went to OBJ... He went to Durango....

I am his neighbor, his paddling partner, and very close friend. Adam is everything that has been mentioned here and tons more. Everyone should feel honored to know someone with half of Adams dedication to his friends and family, his sunny smile, funny laugh (unmistakeable) and caliber of athleticism. He is a GIANT among athletes and without a doubt one of the best paddlers I had ever had the opportunity to be with.

For those who never met him, just know that we all just lost a huge and soaring personality. For those that did know and love him, I am very sorry for you all. I really did love the guy. Just the simple but important things in life such as ensuring my wife was well cared for when I was out of town (he would actually bring cookie dough over and use our oven to make a batch of cookies... then once done, he would take out the garbage and head home with a couple of the cookies he had just made). Adam was the kind of guy that I am way proud to have ever met let alone call a close friend.

I am going to miss you terribly Adam... and it tore my heart to pieces a minute ago when I put your belongings in your garage for the last time. I am missing you already and am just flat out sad to never see you again.

Please everyone take a minute to tell your friends how much you care about them... I just had that conversation with Adam when we were on our first overnighter trip in Cali last week on Mill Creek. I told him that he was someone that my wife and I considered a family member and that he was really appreciated. Looking back on it now... its a bit spooky. But I am soooo glad that he really knew how I felt about him.

We as kayakers take risks daily... risks that most people would never experience ever in a full life. Risks are OK, and although I am going to miss Adam tremendously, there is a level of calmness knowing that he never stopped being who he was to the last second.

Adam was FULL ON in everything he did... and now, for those lucky enough to to have known him, be sure to cherish those memories. Also please practice extensive river safety, paddle hard and with confidence... and treat each day like Adam did...

Your friend forever
Marty Cronin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote