Old 05-20-2008   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Vail valley predictions?

Took a morning run in Eagle and first noticed how warm the air was,then saw brush creek (very paddle-able, despite a bunch of fence/wire hazards), then while crossing the bridge over the Eagle I see it's coming up ...and FAST! This'll be the biggest year for water flows since - what 1996-97??, the biggest water year in all the years I've been paddling and probably the biggest year for most paddlers in Colorado. I for one am off the hook with anticipation.

So for those of you that have been at it since the days of the Dancer or prior to the 10 year drought, what do you think we'll see? What bridges will touch water, what banks will burst, what wonderful and wicked wet marvels will be witnessed?

(With all of this water ...Safty Note - Take the swiftwater class with your crew of paddlers and if you're not looking over your shoulder in the time you can hold one good breath, then your doing your friends an injustice)

"Dying ain't much of a livin" - The Outlaw Josse Whales
cokayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #2
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I haven't been at it that long, but I imagine some of the trestles in Wolcott will become hazardous. The train trestle on Gore Creek above the chute will get nasty (even in moderate years it becomes a strainer). I'd love to see what kind of a hole it makes if the water goes over the train tracks!

Gore Creek above Vail Village may be difficult with bridges, and lots of it will wash out. I bet upper-upper Gore Creek in the Eagle's Nest wilderness might be interesting hair boating for someone at high water.

Someone mentioned that the bridge pylon below the chute makes things really tricky at higher water. I would imagine some of the old bridges below Wolcott could get interesting. Lots of trees could dis-lodge, ones that have been in decent places for the past couple years. As far as creeks, I don't know if stuff like Brush Creek, or Sandstone, Beaver Creek, etc. will be doable, I never really look at those. Piney river might flush out some wood. Same deal, I don't know much about it, I am a sucky kayaker.

Does anyone know what happens to the Edwards mile if the chute gets up to 10+++ feet on the gauge? Some of us were trying to decide if it becomes gnarly, or if it becomes a lake.

It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Does anyone know what happens to the Edwards mile if the chute gets up to 10+++ feet on the gauge? Some of us were trying to decide if it becomes gnarly, or if it becomes a lake.
We ran from Dowd Chutes to Bob near the peak in '95. The chutes were fast, cold and stompin! 4 boats in = 4 swimmers, but all the gear collected in the trees on the left bank where the river turns right below the chutes (and I mean ALL the gear!). You'd think a Pirrouette S would be a good boat for that sort of thing...

After that it was just a matter of staying out of giant holes that were easily avoidable...
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #4
Longmont, Colorado
In, 97 when i was completely clueless (now i'm totally clueless), and was raft training on the eagle, at tressel we had to be tucked way down in the raft, I'm sure it was sketchy in a kayak. And the hit at dead cow would cover the entire boat. Naturally I figured the water would be like that every year, unfortunately history says otherwise. I'm looking forward to getting up there this year as I really haven't been on the eagle since then.
crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #5
Been yakn since 1990 and just bought my first raft. We did some r2ing on the eagle at lower water last week. I have been watching the h20 rise(on the eagle) out my back window and it is starting to crank. GLad we have the buzz to post hazards cause there will bee wood and the bridges will be low. I am a bit leary about the high water but hope to get out enough to be able to nail the lines. THe piling below dowd looks like it would b tough to avoid at high flows. Lets keep up to date on river hazards and fun trip reports. HOpe to paddle tomorrow.
thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #6
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
white Lightning, I've only done the Edwards mile when the chute was at 7-8 feet...still fun. But i think you may be may just flush. There are not huge features in there...edwards mile seems to be bounciest when chute is 5-6 feet. Rapids by the B&B pit are nice then.

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote