Old 03-23-2010   #1
Edwards, Colorado
Utah version of CORSAR card?

I could use a little info from my Utah brethren. I'm fairly familiar with how Search and Rescue teams operate financially in Colorado and what a CORSAR card (or fishing/hunting license) does and does not do for you. But I know nothing about the financial liabilities of S&R in Utah. Do Utah S&R groups ever charge for a rescue? And if so, is there a Utah version of a CORSAR card that would cover this? And, if such a thing exists can us Greenies participate or is it in-state residents only?

I'm spending enough time in Utah these days that this is something I ought to know more about.

I did a MountainBuzz search and a cursory Google search but didn't find anything useful.

SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #2
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
A search of this site will likely turn up some useful information about Utah S&R. If not, it's likely that many who follow the forum could provide the answers.

Bogley Outdoor Community - Forum

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #3
Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
One place to ask is on the Utah Whitewater Club forum. Someone there might know.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #4
Edwards, Colorado
The Bogley forum is interesting. I guess I'm answering my own question but may as well post what I've found so far. The Utah Legislature discussed a bill just last month that would establish a program closely modeled on the Colorado CORSAR. Don't know the current status of the bill but I'm guessing it would take a year or so to set up and organize the program even if it has/does pass. So, maybe next year on that one.

A GJ Sentinel article from just yesterday featured the Grand County (Moab area) Utah S & R. They have become a pro organization that does charge for services. They get a lot of calls. They cover a lot of water - Westwater to Cataract and up the Green to Green River. Not to mention all the canyon and rock country. Don't know if the proposed Utah card would cover Grand County charges or not. That'll be interesting to see.

As always, best to be prepared and attentive. And carry a credit card in Grand County, I guess.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote