Old 08-11-2006   #1
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Utah Rivers

Already looking forward to next season. Scoping the runs I'd like to do and there are a few in Utah I'd like to check out.

Anybody have any beta on:

The North Fork of the Duchesne
Upper Ferron Creek
Sixth Water
Price Canyon

I've got the River Runners' Guide to Utah, but sometimes it's beta is a little thin. Are these runs pretty much all read and run or would a guide be necessary for any of them? Are the scouts/portages obvious from above? Thanks.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #2
Sixth Water runs year round @ 32 cfs, though it is surprisingly enough due to it's steepness. It comes out of a pipe from the south side of Strawberry Res. A , It used to run big... though now they put most of the water through another pipe.
The Price is quality mank when its crank'in which is rare. The best creek runs in Utah are the Upper Provo in the Uintahs , Cottonwood creek out of Price, and the of coarse the classic Box Canyons of the San Rafael. Personally , (born and raised as a Utard), What the hell happened, You would think the granite peaks of the Wasatch would have the goods, but no such luck.

crowdaroundum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #3
I'm up in Green River Wyoming right now, and I'm curious about the sixt creek run. It's running 35 cfs, is that really enough water? What class is it. Where is it in relation to Salt Lake. Thanks in advance! Have boat will travel.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #4
Would like to spend several days running stuff in the San Rafael Swell;Ferron,Cottonwood,Huntingdon incl. Left Fork,San Rafael,Muddy,and Price rivers.Lots of 3 to 4+ whitewater in a spectacular area.Only ever done Muddy, easy but unbelievably cool dessert scenery.A Black Box trip is high on my list,hard to find someone to do it with or catch it with water.
Next year !
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #5
The list looks good. Don't forget Timpoweap in South UT. Combined with the Zion Narrows it'll be a weekend to remember, and the Fremont isn't far (which never runs).

Look for all of these runs in the new guidebook coming out next spring!

ps Cottonwood creek is one of the best class IV runs I've ever done. I'd trade the whitewater of it for the numbers anyday. (although not the season)
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #6
There are lots o' good creeky runs in the typically short Utah Spring runoff. The last couple years runoff has been excellent due to the gratuitous snow fall. The previously mentioned runs are good (I think I have done them all except one), but there were a few omissions…

When water is high the Ogden and Logan Canyon runs are sweet. The Upper Provo (as previously mentioned) has sic creeky sections and a runnable triple waterfall (30 – 40 feet each drop), but the last drop is sketchy.

Big Cottonwood Canyon (creek) is sictor when pumping, but is very stout and needs to be scouted foot by foot for wood. Little Cottonwood is death on a stick (wood). Another gnar but hairy creek, runnable in sections (including some waterfalls), is Bells Creek, but there are some 'hit the eddy or die' moments.

The Price is pretty good, nice and continuous 3-4 shit. Cottonwood Creek is a nice class 3ish run. Ferron creek is fun but woody. Salina creek is good but usually boney. The Box of the San Rafael is fun as shit.

Or just run the Grand Canyon.

More a less a Utard myself, I agree with the earlier comment... It seems like there would be more good boating along the Wasatch Front. There is good water but the season is uber-short, or sometimes non-existent.

Later fuckers. I got to go to church.
Bobby D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #7
It's called 6 dub by the local utards, nobody calls it sixth water anymore. It's probably the best use of 35 cfs I know of. Not a classic but surprisingly fun and steep when everything else is dry.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #8
Upper Ferron is a wood fest for class II drops, not really worth it. The one that's missing from your list is the Left Hand Fork of the Huntington. Pretty fun 6 miles in a nice canyon with a few very fun drops to start you off there's a AW page for it.

The Fremont is a hard to catch semi-quality run. It seems to happen mch earlier than the rest of the wastach plateau (Cottonwood, Left Hand Fork). It could be something to consider on the way to Zion.

6th water can be a lot of stress on your vehicle for 400 yards of plop and drop.

Fnally, if you're willing to hike, lots of stretchs above the reservoirs on the south slope Uintahs have some nice runs ranging from class wood mank fest, to quartzite bedrock mini canyons.
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #9
Here are some links to some run descriptions or runs that have been mentioned here, they aren't high quality but maybe there will be something here you can use

6th Water

Cottonwood Creek

Upper Provo

natebone is offline   Reply With Quote