Old 07-24-2006   #1
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
US National Whitewater Center Video

check it out. will open sometime soon.

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #2
This does look cool, but I don't quite get it. What's the point of building a place like this for $28 million when you can find similar rivers?

Is this so spectators can easily watch? Reliable flows for slalom competition?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
its like a terrain park for boaters....yeah, you can find better stuff in the backcountry, but here you have a place with some kick ass man made imitations!
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #4
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
Definately a cool venue that will provide a huge recretional asset to the Southeast. Basil, although there are tons of great rivers in the south; Charlotte (and most of the Yadkin valley) is located a good bit east of most of the good whitewater- in the flatlands. These places are way more populated than whitewater cities like Asheville and Boone that are to the west. This will provide an incredible venue for city folks from Charlotte, Greenville-Spartanburg, and Atlanta to enjoy well as increse the tourism industry to Charlotte. I know I will go there and check it out. Thanks for the video Mike!

When is opening day?
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #5
I found this on the web site I guess it makes sense.

I also saw on that the cost is pretty competitive with commercial rafting on rivers. The kayaking price of $15 per 90 minute session is reasonable.

Inspired by the successful Penrith Whitewater Stadium built for the 2000 Olympics and the stadium built for the 2004 Athens Games, the USNWC will be the world's only multi-channel recirculating whitewater river. The USOC has formally endorsed the center and committed to designating it an Official Olympic Training Site. The national governing body for the sport, USA Canoe and Kayak (USACK) has also designated the Center as its new home. The USNWC will host World Cup competitions, Olympic Trials and also serve as the home of international Olympic athletes working and training at the center.

The 3 whitewater channels can be modified to offer diverse levels of difficulty and excitement for kayakers, canoeists and rafters of all levels, allowing for ever-changing configurations of rapids. Multiple channels allow for different uses simultaneously, providing significant flexibility and usage opportunities. For example, firefighters from across the country will train here on lifesaving swift-water rescue skills where they will be able to control their training environment to their own specifications as well as limit the dangers involved in training.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #6
Keeping slalom alive - at least until park n play becomes an olympic event.
Looks like a very cool site. Thanks for putting up the link to the video

steambabe is offline   Reply With Quote