Old 06-30-2011   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Upper Upper Tenmile beta

Any beta on the section above Copper along Hwy 91? There is a little blurb on it in WSR under "Afternoon Adventure" but it doesn't say much. Is this a good level for it? Class? Wood? Etc.

Also, is middle and lower Tenmile really "Crankin'" as Eddyflower says or is it a good flow? I'm cool with class IV but try to stay away from IV+ most of the time. Thanks for the info!

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #2
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
One thing in play on upper is the culvert at officers gulch. I usually just hit the last eddy up and portage it, have heard of far left on left side going up to 900.

If you like hitting a lot less rocks then I would say its at a good level right now. Middle is IV and upper is IV+ in my opinion.

Upper is fast and fun. Keep it straight and upright.

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Send a message via AIM to baxterpharr Send a message via MSN to baxterpharr
The section along Highway 91 looks like good Class 3 but I've never run it and there is little info on it. If you like Class 4, I'd do the section from Officers Gulch to Frisco. It drops 110 ft/mi for the 4 mile run and there is only one eddy that I can's really fast.
baxterpharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #4
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Park at Officers Gulch. Scout upstream for 1/2 mile and decide if you want to run the upper. There is one big hole about 3/4 the way up that looks sticky, no problem blasting over it with the fast lead in. I barely fit under the left side of the bridge at 920cfs, managed to stay upright and scraped my helmet a little. If you don't want the upper, the section below the bridge is fast and fun down to the Ten Mile Kayak Shop. Watch out for the right side of bridge there is a hole in there and very low clearance. It's at a good flow.
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #5
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
A friend scouted Upper Upper a week ago, said it looked wood free and 3 to 3+. This has got to be a good level, basically the more the merrier with TenMile. We never got around to it but would love to hear your trip report.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #6
We ran from bottom of Hoosier to Copper a few years ago. It is 3-3+ boogie water with no real defined rapids that I can remember. The same day we did the creek from the top of Vail pass to the middle of Copper resort. It was single track boating with several low bridges. Made for a fun afternoon of lesser known Summit County runs.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Nice. I've always wondered about the single track near copper/vail.

I think you mean Fremont pass. Hoosier is
Past Breckinridge

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #8
Hey MJPOWHOUND - Living in Summit, I've probably run Tenmile over a hundred times over the course of 15 years. The middle section from Officer's Gulch is never more than Class IV on the easy side at any level. Every drop, you just go where it looks like you should and it goes pretty easily.

I'd call the section upstream of Copper Mountain (Upper Upper) mostly Class III+ with a couple sections that feel more like Class IV. It is, thus far, clear of wood for the year. That said, it's pretty easy to drive down the creek and hike down in a few spots to scout for wood, as I've done in the past.
Riley33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #9
Lakewood, Colorado
Good beta Riley, that was right on. The hwy 91 section was super bony last Wednesday at around 800 on the gauge. Middle down was really fun and I was ecstatic to come off the seal launch and not scrape anymore. I'd like to scout the upper sometime; if it's a half step above middle it sounds awesome.

Thanks all for the beta. Fun checking out a new run.

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote