Old 05-13-2015   #11
ft. collins/ Chico ca, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Any word on wood on little south fork poudre? I know some good folks went up there for some "fish habitat studies" and it was real nice. Is it still a mess from the fires our has anyone else been up there for... Environmental studies.
1200 Cfs on the north fork be a stout day.

dreadone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015   #12
Ft Collins, Colorado
The little South Fork is good to go, when there's enough water. See:

Little South Fork of the Poudre Trip Report 06/16/2014

The upper N Fork at 1200 is really fun. Just be sure to scout (and probably carry) the falls. I think the steep parts of the SF at med water are harder than the NF, which the exception of the falls.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #13
Is the road gate into Halligan Res open?
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #14
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I'd love to get on the upper north fork next weekend if anyone will be around. Can't make it this weekend though....any takers? Next Sat. or Sun
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #15
the fort, Colorado
I believe the gate stays closes til first week of June. I plan on hitting upper nf this Saturday 5/23 with my lil bro. We are expecting a full day because he is an upper nf virgin. So there'll be plenty of scouting and maybe some portaging on his part, followed by a possible backbreaking hike out with the boats if we don't run through phantom.
the river has been holdin pretty steady at 750-800cfs, which is a decent level.
If anyone would like to join us give me a call (would like to keep the first-timers/people who've ran it ratio pretty even) I've hit it 3 times so I have a pretty good memory of lines/significant features, but like I said, we,LL be doin plenty of scouting. Not sure how much wood is in there, but it's usually not a big issue.

Mattoak I would also be down for next weekend depending on how sat goes.
-Heath 970five81five870
prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #16
Lakewood, Colorado
Heath - sounds good. I'm an upper NF virgin as well, but I might be able to round up a few folks who've run it before. Lets see how the day goes Sat and you can let me know. I'll contact you later this coming week. Thanks
Old 05-24-2015   #17
the fort, Colorado
upper nf trip report

Group of 3 of us ran it yesterday. I would say it is at a very fun level at 890cfs and everything goes!! There's enough water pouring over the sieve to the right of the water fall that a solid VI boater could boof it, I never would recommend doing this though!
The wood is to be as expected in there, nothing that can't be avoided with heads up IV skills and maneuvering.
I wouldn't recommend running it at this level for your first time unless you are a solid V boater and or you have some solid guides who are really familiar with the run.
There are 3-4 mini gorges/boulder gardens I would consider class IV and the falls are a V because of tricky entry move and deadly sieves. Overall I would rate the run as having class V consequence throughout, just because of the remoteness and all the possible ways you could die in there!

One member of our group flipped in one of boulder gardens and had his paddle ripped out of his hands. Ended up swimming, I was able to corral his boat enough to pin it in a log jam, but during the recovery effort he sent it downstream in an effort to recover in a safer place I guess(horrible idea).
Because of our boatless buddy, my brother and I had no choice but to stash our boats below the falls and hike up and out of the canyon via Turkey Roost jeep trail, which absolutely kicked our ass. Overall we had a crazy fun time despite some unfortunate setbacks!

oh ya, watch out for rattlers! Killed two while scouting some rapids, I just about stepped on one I didn't even see!
Old 05-26-2015   #18
Lakewood, Colorado
Thanks for the report. Any fences to worry about?

Also I'd like to add, and this is in as nicest a way possible without trying to seem like a douche, that I don't condone killing animals and would please ask you or anyone else reading this to not kill them, even rattlers. Especially when we are intruding on their habitat and we (paddlers) try to practice leave-no-trace and leaving the area we paddle in in pristine condition like we found it, I think its awful to kill an animal who we intrude upon. I understand they are hazardous, but isn't there a way to push them away with your paddle or a stick to an area where they don't pose a threat while you are scouting?
Old 05-26-2015   #19
the fort, Colorado
Ya there are two fences in the stretch between the falls and the reservoir, but they are easy to avoid if you see them coming.
As for snakes . . . You couldn't kill enough rattlers back there. I respect your opinion, but I personally had to call an ambulance for a little 8 year old girl who was bit within a mile of there last year. You may value that snake's life more than yours, but how bout that little girls? There are some animals that simply can't coincide with humans. If you spend some time walking around Cherokee Park you will quickly find there is no shortage of rattlers! You can find them by the 30's if you stumble across a den! Don't worry I kept his rattle, and would usually skin em out. Have you ever seen someone skin a snake? I'll tell you what, they don't quit moving after they're dead!
Sorry, I'll keep on slayin rattlers and you keep letting them slither. I just won't tell you what you should and shouldn't do. I won't press my views on you, but I can give you another perspective. An open mind is an intelligent one.
Old 05-26-2015   #20
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
Oh boy... You two should do a grand trip together.

Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote