Old 06-12-2013   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Upper Gunnison

Me and a few friends are planning an over niter on the upper Gunnison and dont know what to expect...Does anyone have any input as to where we should put in and take out (15 miles ish)?? We hope to find a sweet camp spot roughly half way.. Any advice will be much appreciated!

rawmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845

are you talking about the stretch from Almont to Blue Mesa? There are multiple accesses....North Bridge (~8 mi down), West Tomichi Riverway (~12 mi down), the whitewater park (~13 mi), McCabe's Lane/Riverway (~15 mi), and then a few down before the lake.

Good luck finding campsites.....most of the run is on private property, and the few pieces of public land that border it camping is not allowed. highly doubtful you will find anything. i dont think you've been here before I take it. Certainly not going to find "a sweet camp spot" anywhere here.

better option is the Lower Gunnison, west of Delta. Or the Gunnison Gorge....

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #3
Yeti: So is there good camping on the lower Gunnison?
How agout the Gunny Gorge? RiverBrain says the flows are too low to float..Is the gorge pretty technical?
Thx for your help
Old 06-12-2013   #4
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
What type of craft are you wanting to run the gorge with? Did it last week so it is possible but technical right now given low flow. Stone fly hatch is on. So lots of commercial traffic. You will be competing with the guided trips for good camp spots.
fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There is good camping on the Lower Gunnison (Escalante to Whitewater). Most of the good camps are near the mouth of Dominguez Canyon. It can get hot down there this time of year...

This thread has some good information regarding low flows in the Gunnison Gorge, including a video: Gunny Gorge Flows
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #6
I would be running the gorge in a 14ft cat.. after watching a video of the gorge I soon realized my boat wouldnt be appropriate..Prolly gonna do the lower gunny and keep it mellow..Thank you both for your help!