Old 05-23-2008   #1
DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Upper CO at 6grand????

So the upper c is runnin 6 grand anyone have any beta on it at this level? Whats is like? I here Eye of the needle becomes big holes? Any info would be helpfull we plan to run Pumphouse to Radium in the morning about 10am.

2 Trailer Park Girls Go Round The Out Side!! "M"
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #2
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
pumphouse through burns?

I was thinking of rowing through burns, maybe to the ranch tomorrow? I have never been there @ this level I was planning on spending a few days. I don't think there s anything to worry about in a 14' loaded raft. Although I'm not sure. See ya in the morning?

Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #3
We r3'd this section(pumphouse to statebridge) on thurs. Eye of the needle was an easy move rt. then lots of bumper waves. Yarmony sucked us in(even though we had a good game plan) and hisided our boat, ejecting my 2 buddies. You can go left or right just start early, the hole seems to have a hypalon magnet.
thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #4
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Eye of the needle is an easy move right. The only real tricky spot is at Yarmony. If you try to sneek left, the lateral will shove you right into the hole. The trick is to start right and move left with a bunch of MO. That way you can break the lateral that is shoving you to the hole.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
For those still wondering, Needles Eye was pretty much washed out with just a few waves at 6000+. Yarmony's hole was easy to miss just hugging the left shore. It was my turn to be a newbe as I had never oared a loaded raft before, but did just fine. I had a little trouble moveing back right after the hole but managed. We did have a kayaker with us who swam Yarmony and a ducky flipped right after we ran it to add some excitement. After Yarmony, all there is are some easy wave trains all the way to Catamount.

Managed to get the third bench campsite so that was all good. Now to find another river that I can take kids on with out so many trains on it!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #6
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
spanked @ Yarmony

I guess the first error in judgement was launching @ 1 am. The second was not having a glow stick attached to my dog. The hole at Yarmony sucked me back into a back/side surf which the P-Dog couldn't hold the highside on. She swam for about 1/4 mile before she found me. Anxious, but i think she still loves me. A woman wouldn't have still spooned with me all night at Bench if I did that to her......
palidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #7
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
why the hell did you launch at 1am?
SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #8
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Launching at 1am sounds a little nuts to say the least.
We were fast asleep after a evening of pounding beers by that time.
Especially at 6G on Sat, 5G on Sun and Mon. I know Pumphouse is not difficult, but with that much water it is moving very fast. Glad it turned out ok, a solo flip at the level could have bad consequences.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We spent Memorial Day Weekend running Pumphouse to Dotsero--60 miles in three days without sweating much. It was not the Upper C I'd seen before. Lots and lots of big, fun wave trains kept my passengers wet the whole time. The entire stretch below Catamount was full of waves -- rodeo was a riot. Go now!
rebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd love to hit Pumphouse on Sunday with my wife - never run Yarmony at 6K. Easy miss left with a decent ferry? Haven't scouted the damn thing in a decade, at least.

Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote