Mountain Buzz banner

Upper Box November eye candy

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  atom 
#1 ·
#3 ·
solo no-portage adventure

Atom,

Glad your group was successful, too. Just thought you should know that my solo descent on Saturday was a blast and, yep, I am alive. It was just what I needed to relieve my stress. Though, it is no doubt that 400 is not exactly the level I recommend for a solo run. Whew! Having soloed at 500 and 800 before, I was surprised at how much more intense 400 was. I had no portages though. As you know, the usual lines are obstructed before, during, and after every route and, especially solo, it requires being on your A game at all times. Starting at NCO, usually a lesser worry to me, I knew the fun-o-meter was going to be in the red zone. Fortunately, I was spot on thoughout the day and wise with my years to know when to scout. I was also surprised at how much longer all the rapids seemed with the extra boulders and sieves continunig. Also, with how powerful the flow was as it funnels through everything. Even at 400 the roar of the rapids was ominous. What a classic day. In conjunction with the bike shuttle and hikes in and out it was an excellent day of exercise and adventure. I was wishing I could have gone right back again yesterday. If not still again this year, then come March or April.
Cheers!
Ken

#4 ·
yup

Atom,

Glad your group was successful, too. Just thought you should know that my solo descent on Saturday was a blast and, yep, I am alive. It was just what I needed to relieve my stress. Though, it is no doubt that 400 is not exactly the level I recommend for a solo run. Whew! Having soloed at 500 and 800 before, I was surprised at how much more intense 400 was. I had no portages though. As you know, the usual lines are obstructed before, during, and after every route and, especially solo, it requires being on your A game at all times. Starting at NCO, usually a lesser worry to me, I knew the fun-o-meter was going to be in the red zone. Fortunately, I was spot on thoughout the day and wise with my years to know when to scout. I was also surprised at how much longer all the rapids seemed with the extra boulders and sieves continunig. Also, with how powerful the flow was as it funnels through everything. Even at 400 the roar of the rapids was ominous. What a classic day. In conjunction with the bike shuttle and hikes in and out it was an excellent day of exercise and adventure. I was wishing I could have gone right back again yesterday. If not still again this year, then come March or April.
Cheers!
Ken
Right on Ken,
Glad you had a great run. Been unreal weather for this time of year. Lovin it. I agree that 400cfs makes you pay attention, the water is funneling through the drops, not much margin for error. Hope to paddle with ya soon. I'm free a bunch this Thanksgiving week if it stays steady. Atom...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.