Old 04-02-2005   #1
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
upper box n.m

hey I am heading down with some buddies to run the upper box.. We have never been in there before and am looking forward to it!
How will I know when to start the hike out?
I know that it is sive city down there, but break it down for me. What are the major things to look out for?
Also, is there anyone else that is going to be down there tommarow?
email me if you want to go

boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
If you can't get a guide (recommended, of course), just don't be hesitant to jump out of the boat and scout stuff from shore. If you get into the tendency to boat-scout one drop, you could progressively wind up in nastier stuff that's not easy to see from the water. It would be fairly easy to boat into some of the bigger drops if you don't shore-scout.

You have a lot of warmup from Sheeps Crossing- your marker will be the powerline that spans above powerline rapid. I haven't been down below 600, so other might speak to this, but the sieves are notorious at low water. There was a scary story from a few years ago where Jed Selby got sucked through a sieve while attempting a rescue of another boater.

If you're hiking out at Little Arsenic, you should be able to easily see the picnic shelters and trial from the river; about 1/2 mile below Big Arsenic. You'll recognize that you're at Big A big a obvious horizon line that is preceded by a rocky bar or rocks jutting out from the left bank. Pull over on the left and hike up to the shelter there and then circle back down to the river- it's easier than trying to skirt the shore.

The first time I did it was with one other friend, both our first time, you can obviously run it without a guide. The individual rapids aren't that hard, it's just the stuff you can't see or don't see until your right beside it and watching the water swirl down under some boulder. Other than that, a beautiful run & one of my favorites. Definitely good stuff at 1000 to 1200.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote